Lakes - where to go for ospreys?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
Having read a few leaflets and discovered that an osprey safari was that you actually steer your own boat around a lake, does anybody have any suggestions for where I could go tomorrow?

Last edited:
Go there. (Esthwaite Water) It is by far the closest you will get to Ospreys.
Steering the boat is fun. They are electric motors and quite slow.
You can more or less stay stationary for a while.

The ones at Bassenthwaite you view from a spotting scope (after a short climb). You might be (very) lucky and see one fishing in the lake
but they do visit other lakes for food.
I am not sure about the ones at Witherslack as they have nested on a different pole this year
(the cameras were set up on another). I haven't been for a couple of years and some development has taken place.

Hi. Thanks for replying. At the end of the day today, we went and had a look. It is certainly a very peaceful lake. No sign of the osprey flying although we were told that they were "sitting". Pondering now whether I want to pay £20 an hour for the boat. Or get the guide for £40 an hour. Not sure about this. We also did a "free running" walk with Wolves today. No actual running.....

Last edited:
We went last year and they were flying. It was about this time of year. Can't remember what it cost but it was a nice sunny day, and we messed about in the boat.
We were out a lot longer than an hour, partly due to Captain being overconfident near the shore and grounding it for a while.
Still a family joke.
The images I took were not that sharp and caused me to reconfigure Af fine tune on my Nikon.
I had planned to go again this year but cannot at the moment.

If you are up for the week the weather is good, it will be nice on the high fells.

Last time I went to witherslack a couple of years ago the nest was about a mile away from the viewing platform so pretty hopeless for photos. That said I live on the other side of the estuary from Witherslack and have seen the Osprey on our side twice this year, once being mobbed by gulls near our house and once over the esturary itself.

Of course neither time I had a camera handy. When it was being mobbed I was in the garden so ran inside to get the camera thinking I bet it's gone by the time I get back out. Legged it upstairs, put the long lens on, legged it back down and out side, it was still around. Turned on the camera and the battery was flat, legged it back in, upstairs found a charged battery, legged it out again ... it had gone! :( After all the running around I probably couldn't have held the camera steady anyway

Back