Land access question (Scotland)

KayJay

Give us a Tena
Edit My Images
Yes
If I see a lovely tree in a field somewhere, probably on a farmers field, am I allowed to walk up to it to take a photograph or should I ask the farmer first? The problem is some fields up here are so massive that it's hard to know who's field it is and where the farmer is to go and ask.

I see so many beautiful photographs of lonely trees that there are some up by me but I'm not sure what to do in order to take a photograph of them.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Also remember the old idea that it's easier to beg forgiveness afterwards than ask permission before!

Steve.

Photography (not for profit) is specifically mentioned in the access legislation as a valid reason to take access. Phil's link to the Access Code gives the definitive picture. Basically people have a right of access to most land and water provided they don't behave like idiots and show respect for others.

The Code stresses that access rights should be exercisd responsibly, which I'm fairly sure most people would do. You mentioned a tree in a field, KayJay and one of the exclusions in the code is 'land in which crops are growing' (para 5 of part 2. A landowner may take the view that you had not acted responsibily if the field had any sort of crop in it.

Dave

As the old saying goes, take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints. To which I would add, mind where you leave the footprints - avoid crops and keep an eye out for other things underfoot, from stock turds to baby birds!

Thanks folks. I guess it all boils down to common sense.

Back