Landscape and house shoot

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I need a little help. In exchange for using a large country house for a private shoot I've agreed to take to take pictures of the outside of their house and surrounding gardens. Problem is, I have no idea about photographing houses and gardens and I wondered if anyone has any useful tips.

Thanks in advance (y)

I need a little help. In exchange for using a large country house for a private shoot I've agreed to take to take pictures of the outside of their house and surrounding gardens. Problem is, I have no idea about photographing houses and gardens and I wondered if anyone has any useful tips.

Thanks in advance (y)

Photography is about being creative and stepping outside the box, So do this :)

I do work for architects photographing the outside (and interiors) of their projects.

You'll need good light to show the place off to its best potential, think of it like a landscape shoot, good light, an interesting sky etc.

Make sure your verticals stay vertical, buildings looking like they're falling over backwards isn't a good look. You can do this by keeping the camera level, or if you can't avoid angling it up to get everything into shot then either use a tilt/shift lens with some shift to keep it all square, or alternatively shoot very loose to allow you enough space to correct the perspective in post.

Use a CPL to cut reflections on windows and light the house from the inside, a dusk shot for example with the windows lit can make a house look very warm and welcoming, if that's the kind of style you're wanting.

Generally houses look best taken from an angle rather than square on.

Use a tripod, and a cable release, base ISO for optimum quality.

Back