Landscape Filters

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been watching some landscape photography on YouTube and it's got me wanting to dust the camera off and use it a bit more. I've just bought Hoya Fusion CPL and I was looking to getting a 10 stop filter too, but am looking for suggestions (it'll be going on a 17-40 F4L)

I've seen a Hoya ProND1000 for £55. Is there any others in this price bracket that beat it? Is the Hoya any good?

I've been watching some landscape photography on YouTube and it's got me wanting to dust the camera off and use it a bit more. I've just bought Hoya Fusion CPL and I was looking to getting a 10 stop filter too, but am looking for suggestions (it'll be going on a 17-40 F4L)

I've seen a Hoya ProND1000 for £55. Is there any others in this price bracket that beat it? Is the Hoya any good?
Hoya are generally decent enough and probably where you want to be quality wise as a minimum.

Others to consider without breaking the bank are the likes of SRB Photographic who produce their own and are said to be very good VFM.

Hoya are generally decent enough and probably where you want to be quality wise as a minimum.

Others to consider without breaking the bank are the likes of SRB Photographic who produce their own and are said to be very good VFM.

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look.

A lot of people use the Haida filters which are rated very highly for neutrality and optical quality. Think they are in that ball park for cost.

I had a Haida proii 10 stop and it was far superior to my Lee big stopper for cast and negligible in difference for quality.

I use Lee natural density graduated filters and rate them highly. Expensive but they're seen as the industry standard.

They are probably a little too expensive for me at the moment, it's more casual use / learning at the moment so wanted to try and find ones that don't break the bank.

I use Hitech Firecest 10 stopper now but they are pretty expensive. Previously I used the Zomei ND1000 which was much cheaper and had very little colour cast, excellent for a filter of this price imo.

I use Lee filters.

Their big stopper (10 stops) often comes up in the classifieds (used) at anywhere from £55 to £80. Does have a slight colour cast but it is seen as a very good product.

Thanks everyone. I've ordered a Haida one, I'll see how that goes.

Kase ones get a good reputation too. A few of the "social media" lot are using them and like them.

Kase have so many pros over Lee filters. Absolute best decision I made was swapping over. Scratch and break resistant, completely neutral (even the 16 stop) and the coatings are awesome. You can wipe the filter clear of sea spray or rain with one wipe with no smearing, something I hated with my old Lee filters

I use Lee natural density graduated filters and rate them highly. Expensive but they're seen as the industry standard.

Hi SF do you use Medium / Soft or Hard? I m planning to buy a set for landscape photography (mainly urban/ mountain). Thanks!

I use soft filters. The best thing with them is you cannot tell in my images I’ve used one other than there’s detail in the foreground without a blown sky
Perfect thanks. I wasn't sure between soft and medium. Thanks

I have a FF. Bu I thought that hard filters were more for sea landscapes for example
Generally that is what I use the hard edged filters for. But if you put the same filter on a crop format camera the transition is no longer as hard, it behaves as a medium to soft edged filter when compared to FF (depends which brand and when they were bought).

On FF, I tend to use a hard edge grad more often than a soft edge.

My CPL filters are Hoya/Sigma. My ND (solid) are Haida. No complains so far.....!!

I use soft filters. The best thing with them is you cannot tell in my images I’ve used one other than there’s detail in the foreground without a blown sky

I knew you used grads, but until you mentioned it I had forgotten. It (graduation) certainly does not show at all which is exactly what you want.

Back