Landscape lens which one

What is your preferred focal length? If it is 10-20 on a crop then maybe the 16-35 F4 would be a good overall bet if you prefer zooms, followed by the 18-35.

If you like primes then I have heard good things about the Nikon 20 1.8 (though it would be a little wide for my tastes).

The 28 1.8 is also very, very good.

Alternatively in terms of third party there is the Sigma Art 20 or 24 1.4's which i expect should be excellent. For longer zooms the Sigma 24-35 f2 also sounds good. I have no experience of them personally but the 35 and 50 art lenses are stellar.

Is tilt-shift out the question for your budget? I managed to pick up a second hand canon 17mm at a good price. It's taken a quite a bit of getting used to but I'm really pleased with the results for two reasons - tilt to get the plane of focus sharp from front to back even wide open in low light and shift to create even wider panoramas. Worth a try if you like this kind of thing.

Used to own the 16-35 F4 and thought it was pretty decent but sold it when I bought the 20mm f1.8g which I much prefer.... sharper, lighter and great at shooting into the sun, actually though I find the 24-120 F4 range is the one I use far more for landscapes, ultra-wides are often just a bit too wide for my taste so don't miss the 16mm end personally

Simon

Used to own the 16-35 F4 and thought it was pretty decent but sold it when I bought the 20mm f1.8g which I much prefer.... sharper, lighter and great at shooting into the sun, actually though I find the 24-120 F4 range is the one I use far more for landscapes, ultra-wides are often just a bit too wide for my taste so don't miss the 16mm end personally

Simon

I like the 16-35 but agree I tend to use it around 20mm-28mm. I tend not to shoot ultra wide and beyond 28mm the 24-70 kicks it optically however from 20-28mm its very good.

I thought about a 20mm, its probably about 2mm too wide for me and I'd have to use my 24-70 for everything else and below 28mm its really quite soft in the corners (unusably so) and it fringes like a pig (as bad as the 16-35 at 16mm)

Back