Landscape Photographer of the Year 2014.

Tim, thanks for posting

The ones published as "winners" in the Sunday Times I thought were disappointing

I much prefer 03, 06, and 11 on your link ………… none of which were published in The Sunday Times colour supplement

In fact I found the winner, 01, and Category winner, 12, quite uninteresting

03 and 06 were the two for me

Last edited:
I am not a fan of all of the images I've seen from this so far but I would say it has been the majority. I quite like the winner.

I'm really pleased for the winner, Mark Littlejohn (Eljay on this forum). Have to say the photo is not one of my favourites of his. But the body of his work is absolutely outstanding.

I think this kind of recognition is well deserved and over due. :clap:

I see some other titles on the list of commended images that I believe have recently won the photographer an award in another international competition, I thought that wasn't allowed. Maybe the competition wasn't big enough or maybe they are different images or something.

Last edited:
The usual mix of great images, (in my eyes) not so great shots and some of classic locations you just think wouldn't get anywhere because we've seen them a million times before!

I especially like the one of London Bridge station from above, the collage photo of the beach huts and the green ferns in the youth category.

I think the Network Rail winner was superb as is Robert Olivers Bowdown Berries. I haven't seen the book yet but I think it looks promising. I'll be having a look at it on Thursday and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm making no comment on the winning picture apart from the fact that I like it...

Cheers Chris - A couple of folk thought I was brave putting it in but I can't see that at all. Any braveness was on the part of the judges who made the decisions. I was made up to read David Wards comments about it on his Facebook page.

Reactions: ST4
I like the overall winner, it almost reminds me of something out of Lord of the Rings. It has wonderful colours, a grand scale I think it is a worthy winner. Personally pictures 5, 7 and 9, as great as they are, are "typical" landscapes, there's nothing new in any of them. Pictures 4 and 12 are a particular favourite of mine. It's all subjective in the end thought...

It was refreshing that so few of them were your typical, golden hour landscapes. I really enjoyed the variety of approaches, and some great shots.

I'm making no comment on the winning picture apart from the fact that I like it...

I loved it :clap:

It's a location I know well. Saw it in the Sunday Times and pointed it out to my wife.

At first glance we both thought 'Turner Painting' before looking again.

Refreshingly different.

Strange how few on here have congratulated Eljay, or should I say the new 'Landscape Photographer of the Year'...unless of course there's a thread I've missed!

I for one am absolutely thrilled it's gone to a photographer that knows and loves his subject matter, rather than a 'list ticker' or 'photographic tourist'!

Mark, llongyfarchiadau o gymru :)

All credit to Mark and his winning image, hurrah for natural abstraction. As has been said, art is subjective and having something that is different from the ubiquitous "sunset at the beach" shots, no matter how eye pleasing they are has to be a good thing.

Hope it opens doors for you Mark.

Scott

I agree with all of the above, I genuinely think this is the best winner so far. Would love to see it printed but cant get to the exhibition. I love 12 in the link above too, very refreshing to see a varied set of winners.

Last edited:
Strange how few on here have congratulated Eljay, or should I say the new 'Landscape Photographer of the Year'...unless of course there's a thread I've missed!

I for one am absolutely thrilled it's gone to a photographer that knows and loves his subject matter, rather than a 'list ticker' or 'photographic tourist'!

Mark, llongyfarchiadau o gymru :)

Cheers Nick - appreciate your comments, coming as they do from someone who also loves the countryside around us. A big Scottish thank you.

Thanks for the comments Scott, Phil, Gary and Nguss.

Just caught up with this thread - well done Mark - Really like your Ullswater and Deepdale entries too - the B&W conversion for the Deepdale one is excellent

Yep, big congratulations. Great to have a winning image like this.

The book's very good this year on the whole, not many weak images or ones I'm not so keen on.

Worth pointing out that the B&W images Mark got in as highly commended are both excellent as well.

Cheers guys - appreciate all the comments. Its strange to get such a reward for doing something we all love. Can't beat it. Its been a very busy week but I would rather have been out taking some pictures.

many congratulations mark, very well deserved

Well done on the win.

I enjoyed looking at the images on your flickr account too.

Well done Mark, I'm very pleased for you :clap:

I prefer your Wall Holm Island (highly commended) entry but that's just a personal preference thing.

Alongside Mark's winning image, from the book, a few other images really stood out for me, one from David Baker of Elgol entitled 'Rock', beautiful shot, moody, graphic and simply inviting you to just step into it. Mud Flats in the Bristol Channel by James Osmond is another, moody and graphic. And Colin Bell's 'A sense of belonging - Crummock Tarn', another atmospheric scene that just makes you wish you were there soaking it in.

Some really strong work in the book, with Mark's winner being more than worthy of the title IMHO

Cheers guys.

I nearly didn't enter the competition for the very reason that it was a competition. David Ward wrote a cracking article a wee while back. Amongst other things the danger is that if you aren't successful then do you consider changing your style to do better? I decided to put in some of my personal favourites, some from beautiful locations and one or two that meant something to me. I'm not going to argue with the result but I do find it personally gratifying that something I submitted for "me" won. I do appreciate that it won't be to everyones taste as its a very personal image. Some that didn't get shortlisted knocked me back a bit as I rather liked them and I thought they represented my best work. Subjective? You bet.

I love the fact that it was an image that you entered for yourself, for you, that ultimately won. I think the emotional ties you clearly have/had to it come through in spades when you look at it...and that's what makes it such an interesting image to me to look at. Personally I can't wait to see it in print next week at the OnLandscape conference as it's an image I want to spend some proper time looking at. I think we all strive to convey a sense of emotion to the viewer, to transport them to the spot we were in and let them feel just what we were experiencing at that moment, but that is such a difficult thing to pull off successfully, well at least I find it to be tough, even though that's what drives me to try and make an image. However your image and the ones I mentioned in my earlier post do just that. I can appreciate a technically perfect image, made in beautiful light all day long...but every now and again an image that is arresting comes along and stops you in your tracks and sucks you into it. Yes that's entirely subjective, and what smacks me across the face and makes me go 'wow' isn't what stops the next person....but without that subjectivity this photography lark would be boring, and competitions would be a pointless procession of uniformity surely? Subjectivity is a good thing, challenging images are even better!

Back