Landscape Photographer of the Year 2017 - discussion

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I was a bit surprised that this hasn't come up yet, so here's a thread to discuss.

The 2017 competition results are out, and you can see them here:

https://take-a-view.co.uk/2017-award-winners/

The winning shot is....intriguing. It's very gentle, soft and relaxing, as well as quite abstract. Nice colour, subtle lines, another fairly minimalist image. We don't see all the highly commended or commended images on the website, but of those that are on there I do like David Hopley's "Cast" shadow image - very nice indeed.

What do you think?

I was a bit surprised that this hasn't come up yet, so here's a thread to discuss.

The 2017 competition results are out, and you can see them here:

https://take-a-view.co.uk/2017-award-winners/

The winning shot is....intriguing. It's very gentle, soft and relaxing, as well as quite abstract. Nice colour, subtle lines, another fairly minimalist image. We don't see all the highly commended or commended images on the website, but of those that are on there I do like David Hopley's "Cast" shadow image - very nice indeed.

What do you think?

I agree its been rather quiet this year Andy, but after the storm of many images not making the shortlist at the time, I can see why.
I think there are some super images in amongst the list and do like the winning image. Very delicate and love those pastel colours.

I really like the 'A frosty start, St Benet's Level Drainage Mill, Thurne, Norfolk, England' one, but then I would as its mine :exit:

The winner is superb again. Really calming and lovely muted colours.

The classic view runner up looks, to me, very like the Highly Commended Chrome and Parkhouse hill image from 2016 in the sense that it looks like the same place in the same or similar conditions.

I love David Hopley's images.

Overall a lot of these are really, really good and particular congratulations to those on this forum who were successful.

Last edited:
Some very pleasing images in amongst the chosen. And a huge congrats to all on the forum that were included :)

I personally love the winning shot. I can understand that to the Lehman, it would be easily dismissed. But to the keener eyed, it contains a lot of very well presented, key components to a great image.

I don't own the previous few years books so not sure if this is a new thing, but I have noticed that drone shots seem to be making a nice appearance in the selections now. Almost helping justify buying one lol

I love that winning picture and am sad to see some negative comments about it online. It's very delicate and tranquil but has so much going for it you can look at it for ages. Rachael Talibart's Classic View winner is exceptional too, and the Classic runner up is rather nice as well but there's a pretty identical shot in one of the previous books, not that I'm criticising it's just interesting what can succeed year to year. I got one commended this year so happy with that. The last three overall winners have been coastal pictures, might start entering more seascapes!

A pretty nice selection from what I've seen on Twitter, and a lot of photographers who work I love has been featured so a good result all round!

I hope next year the winning photo isn't from the south coast of England, given the last 3 years have been, and I say this as someone who is born and bred there. Would be good to see something win from another part of the country.

The classic view runner up looks, to me, very like the Highly Commended Chrome and Parkhouse hill image from 2016 in the sense that it looks like the same place in the same or similar conditions.

I had a look at that too and couldn't work out if it was the same image by two different people...

I love David Hopley's images.

David Hopley has had great success with his drone images, some great work in my eyes.

I hope next year the winning photo isn't from the south coast of England, given the last 3 years have been, and I say this as someone who is born and bred there. Would be good to see something win from another part of the country.

I'm quite enjoying it. Outdoor Photographer and Amateur Photographer never seem to include Sussex in their location guides.

I've only seen a few of the winning images so far but there are some stunners... Matthew Cattell's Puffin image and Rachael Talibart's Classic view winner in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing the overall winner in print at the exhibition as I don't think a screen does it justice.

Looks like it will be a good book this year.

I agree with that. but it seems every year that the standard gets higher and higher. I am sure the book may have a few head scratchers in but overall the ones that i have seen that have made it are all excellent.

To anyone who has made it through to the book can I say well done. The standard is, once again, extremely high. There are some seriously talented photographers out there![emoji106]
I too love the winning image. It’s a little different and so calming to view, as Justin says, screens can’t do it justice. I also love Rachel Talibart’s Classic view winner, her work is exceptional especially considering the conditions she needs to make her pictures. I don’t think I would have the courage to stand where she does!
Once again, congratulations to you all![emoji108]

I've only seen a few of the winning images so far but there are some stunners... Matthew Cattell's Puffin image and Rachael Talibart's Classic view winner in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing the overall winner in print at the exhibition as I don't think a screen does it justice.

Looks like it will be a good book this year.

Apart from the fact that it is still at Waterloo so will be printed on horrible, flame retardant, fireproof cardboard. I think the winner would be gorgeous on suitable paper. Its a lovely subtle image.

I'm really not keen on the winning photo, it's too subtle for my tastes. I like minimalism, but not for a landscape like this.

Apart from the fact that it is still at Waterloo so will be printed on horrible, flame retardant, fireproof cardboard. I think the winner would be gorgeous on suitable paper. Its a lovely subtle image.

Yep it's a real shame they changed venues, when it used to be at the National Theatre you could see just about every image in print and decent quality... the exhibition now is hardly worth the effort

Yep it's a real shame they changed venues, when it used to be at the National Theatre you could see just about every image in print and decent quality... the exhibition now is hardly worth the effort

I agree, I will still take a look as I combine it with a trip to see the Wildlife photographer of the year at the NHM. I realise one is a free gallery and one you pay but Waterloo is not a good advert for Landscape photography.

I'm really not keen on the winning photo, it's too subtle for my tastes. I like minimalism, but not for a landscape like this.

Must admit, I'm not taken by it either. Love the drone shot of Brighton pier though.

These are the shots I really like exceptional work.... Not in any specific order!
Paul Cronin, A frosty start,
Neil Burnell - Stilts
Dave Fieldhouse - Stowe Pool,
Philip Selby - Kennet & Avon Canal
Francis Taylor - Snowstorm
Will Milner - Durdle Door
I have to say Pauls image I have always found compelling ever since I saw it on flickr most viewed albeit the the one in the comp is a pano version.... Just a supurb shot with stella tones!
Well done to all(y)

Some superb pictures and nice to see some TP folk in there. There a few drone shots in there this year. Which is fine, it's just another tool.

Many of the pics look unnatural and processed to me.
Just how it goes these days I guess.

Back