Landscape photos with my lens?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

So I have a Sigma 18-35 mm 1.8 lens.

All I really shoot is portrait at 1.8

If I want to shoot some landscape pics what settings would you recommend?

Thanks

Depends what you want in focus.

Try f8 as a starting point at this is most lens' sweet spot (best IQ).

Avoid going above f11 or so as diffraction starts to soften the image.

As someone once said "f/8 and be there!" Admittedly, he was talking about street photography rather than landscapes but it's still good advice!

Ok thanks guys, It was just buildings etc. Ill have a play around with f stop :)

Yup, f5.6 to f8, f11 if you need more DoF, f2.8 or 4 if you need less/more light. I'll shoot landscape using anything from f2 to f16 on full frame.

Removed by Admin. Unnecessarily rude answer. Not everyone knows the answers. Instead of dismissing someone and sending them to youtube to learn the basics, why not help them learn instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find if there is for example wide open space in the foreground (like a lake etc) before the landscape gets interesting (mountains, forests etc) then f/5.6 or f/8. But if everything is interesting from front to baqck then I usually go f/11. I need more practice on landscape though as I shoot 90% with subject in front of me rather than a view.

Apart from things such as maybe having foreground interest in a wide-angle view - as with all photos and not just landscape, we have to make judgements about what's in focus and what isn't. The conventional approach for landscape might be to have as great a dof as possible, but this isn't the only option. But if you had a large expanse of oof foreground it could easily look odd ...

It is possible though in landscape to concentrate on foreground detail - it isn't always necessary to sharply render everything that's in front of you.

Nor does every landscape require 'glamorous' light - a book full of sunsets would engender sunset fatigue in the first few pages.

There is much to learn about taking landscapes and many books are written on the subject but as has already been said, f8 to f11 seems to be the favourite. I mostly under expose a smidge as well as that suits my style. I always use a tripod and survey the scene to see what I don't want in the photo, get out there and take a lot of photos, develop a style that becomes your own and enjoy it.

No hard and fast rules, but as others have said, for general scenes f8 should give you enough depth of field to get both the foreground and background in focus (if that’s what you want out of the scene).

Back