Landscape prime

Jjm

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
Can anyone recommend a good prime for landscape I have a Sigma 10-20 but I am not totally convinced yet.It would have to be Sigma can't really afford nikon glass at the mo_Oh and it's for use on a D80.Thanks

I have the Nikon 24mm Prime lens and I find it just the right size for landscapes. I don't really go for distorted verticals and like my landscapes to be realistic. It's also very light and compact to carry, something I find essential when walking about to get some good shots. I don't know how the price compares to Sigma, but I should imagine a similar size in Sigma would be good also. I use mine on D40 in manual focus only and on D80 with manual or AF.

Im after the 24mm Prime for my D80. For the price and the results I have seen its great value for money. Around £230 i think.

It cost me £237 from Microglobe. The only complaint I have with them is that the lens is not UK sourced and so does not have a Nikon guarantee. It's return to Microglobe, which leaves me wondering what happens if they go out of business. My advice is get it from Kerso, where I have got all my other lens from.

It cost me £237 from Microglobe. The only complaint I have with them is that the lens is not UK sourced and so does not have a Nikon guarantee. It's return to Microglobe, which leaves me wondering what happens if they go out of business. My advice is get it from Kerso, where I have got all my other lens from.

What would the difference be between buying a grey import from Kerso and one from Microglobe? The warranty situation is the same, assuming Kerso pays the VAT on his imports.

Kerso's aren't grey imports. He gives a full UK manufacturers guarantee.

Of course they are,all of Kerso's stuff is- they come from the US and the warranty isn't a UK one, it's Nikon US "International" one -look at the warranty card, it tells you who the original distributor is. Also, if you look in the box with any of his Nikon lenses you'll find a Nikon 5 Year Guarantee - from Nikon USA......

Thanks for the replies I am now stuck between the nikon f2.8 or the Sigma f1.8 :shrug:

The manual focus Sigma Super Wide f/2.8 24mm was highly recommended in its day. The build quality isn't the best but they're £20-£50 on fleabay and there was an AF version (more to go wrong, and would you need it?).

Why not look at 2nd hand dealers? Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 £179 (Mifsuds), Sigma 24mm f/1.8 £149 (Mifsuds), Sigma 24mm f/2.8 £69 (Mifsuds again)(All lenses NAF). Most Mifsuds stuff comes with a 3 month warranty and all used equipment from them is sold on a 10 day approval.

Please note that I'm NOT an employee of Mifsuds - it's just that the mag I'm quoting from is open on their page and I'm TFL to turn the page. (Ffordes have a Nikkor 24 f/2.8 for £159)

Personally, I would use the 18-70 kit lens and avoid the extreme lengths. From 24mm to 50mm or so, the distortions are negligible and stopped down to f/8, sharpness is pretty damn good too. (£129, 2nd hand from Mifsuds).

Of course they are,all of Kerso's stuff is- they come from the US and the warranty isn't a UK one, it's Nikon US "International" one -look at the warranty card, it tells you who the original distributor is. Also, if you look in the box with any of his Nikon lenses you'll find a Nikon 5 Year Guarantee - from Nikon USA......

Yes Flash in the pan, you are quite right, but the international warranty is recognised by Nikon, but is only a years guarantee instead of 5 years in the UK. I wonder why we don't get the same as the Yanks.:thinking:

The point I am making about Microglobe however, is that you don't get any Nikon guarantee at all. Just a note on your invoice saying that they cover it for 1 year. With the present state of businesses I suppose I will just have to hope they don't go bankrupt before then.:bang:

If you have genuine Nikon gear - it won't go wrong! I still have the FE2 I started out with from about 1982 vintage...it was used when I bought it! It still works fine and has only been backonce, after i dunked it in a water hole in the veldt.

oops - didn't answer the main question! Sorry folks. Numptyism taking over..

I would echo the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 vote. It is worth the bit extra for the nikkor lens. You will get your money back far better if ever you want to sell it than you would with the Sigma. PLUS, it will be sharper corner to corner.

Plenty of food for thought there guys £187 for the sigma off flea bay and ffordes also have a 28mm af f2.8 for £99

If you have genuine Nikon gear - it won't go wrong!

A wonderful idea, but sadly, not as true as it used to be. My new D300 came out of the box faulty. Luckily ( :thinking:) , i got it from Jessops so got a replacement next day.

Allan

I used a 28mm with my film camera. I thought that was close to perfect for the landscape. Its exactly equivalent in field of view to the 45mm on a Fuji Xpan (panoramic), but you get the foreground as well - for better or worse.

I think you'd find 24mm on a D80 would be too narrow. What is the crop factor of the camera - x1.5? That would give you the equivalent of a 36mm.

I suggest go wider. Is there an 18mm available? That would give you about 27mm equivalent.

Don't worry about resale value. Cross that bridge ......

Food for thought I hope. :)

Thanks for the tips guys I am up the highlands in October for a week so I think I will nip across to Ffordes in Beauly and see what they have left.It's well worth a visit if your up that way.

I got a fabulous 35mm F2 M/F Nikon off the "bay", cracking price and a cracking landscape lens.

May be worth scouring around for an "out of fashion" manual focus prime........:shrug:

Will the metering on the D80 work with these nikkors

It does on my D200 Jim, so assume it will on the D80.

You will get standard metereing on any new Nikon lens with ANY lens made with AIS or more modern.

You might only have centre weighted, or spot rather than evaluative. But that is as much as you need anyway. You just have to think what you are doing a bit more.

You will get standard metereing on any new Nikon lens with ANY lens made with AIS or more modern.

No, many cameras will not meter. D80 is one that won't.

D200, D300, D700 + the D2 range will.

No, many cameras will not meter. D80 is one that won't.

D200, D300, D700 + the D2 range will.

Are we talking about the 35mm f2 or the 24mm f2.8? Im confused:thinking:

But the most recent 24mm 2.8 will meter on the D80?

This one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=12873

Yes, that is the one I have. All the AFS lenses will autometer and autofocus on the D80. They autometer on the D40 and D40X but will not autofocus, due to the D40 and 40X not having the autofocus motor in the camera body.

I use mine on the D80 and find it great. I also use it on the D40X using manual focus, and it's still great. To be honest with this wide angle lens it's hard to get the focus wrong.

Thanks hillwalkinggirl for clearing that up. Its what I thought but just got a little confused.

Thanks again I was going to go for the Sigma 24mm off fleabay but it went.Not to worry birthday in a months time so I may end up with some extra cash and may still go to Ffordes and see what they have in.

Back