Nikon D70
18-70mm
24mm
1/60 sec
F25
ISO 200
Handheld
Some touching up done

Any tips on how to improve it? I know the followers at the front could be more even, but it wasnt easy getting into a good position in the first place.

Thanks all. :)

The thing about shooting landscapes is that it's 10% about what's in front of you, 10% what you do with it and 80% about the light.

In most cases, it can be almost impossible to produce great shots from the kind of bright overhead sun from a blue sky you have there. If you're able try to get back there either late or early in the day and see how different it looks then.

Also you have alot of sky in the composition which is rather bland and it's often more effective to shoot as little sky as you can if it's not adding to the drama or emotion of the shot.

I just thought I'd bump this, to say that a slightly edited version of the above picture is going to be used in a local magazine. "The Chiltern News" will have an insert titled "What does Natural Beauty mean to you?", and they will use my picture (not sure where yet).

This is the first time Ive had anything published at all, so Im really pleased. :D

thats excellent Joe, Well done!!

Hi Joe.
Very pleased you're getting published, it's always a thrill and a great incentive.

Tips on how to improve the shot ?
Well, I would say try to shoot at a different time of day. Sunrise or sunset.
Look for a time when the sky is more interesting, unusual cloud formation or a stormy sky etc.
Try not to have the horizon bisect the shot.
Look for leading lines or a focal point.
If you shoot in portrait format then there needs to be a strong sky or foreground to catch the attention.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Cameron

Back