Landscapes: Which Phone-Based Apps Would You Not Want To Do Without?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Which phone (or tablet) based apps would you not want to do without for landscape photography? I'm thinking along the lines of Photo Pills (except I'm too tight to shell out 10 quid despite having paid 1.5 k for a camera) or Photographer's Companion. Not camera-specific apps or post-processing, but useful for planning and execution.

Windy.com is packed with shedloads of useful information, in it's base settings you'll have access to wind, rain/thunderstorms, clouds, webcams and air quality but once you delve into More Layres it becomes a behemoth of information.

I use Lighttrac. Simply to see where the sun might be at any time at a location. I don't use to for the shadows, and I cannot remember if I paid for it!

In all honestly any weather app. I use several. Met Office for UK, Yr.no, XC Weather and Meteoblu. I tend to find XC the least accurate - Yr over estimates wind speeds, Met Office is decent but changes its mind several times before giving a good forecast. Meteoblue is the best probably but the ads are annoying

In all honestly any weather app. I use several. Met Office for UK, Yr.no, XC Weather and Meteoblu. I tend to find XC the least accurate - Yr over estimates wind speeds, Met Office is decent but changes its mind several times before giving a good forecast. Meteoblue is the best probably but the ads are annoying
Have a look at "storm radar'. It plots rain and cloud movement very accurately. Predict rain and cloud to 5 min accuracy.

I like TPE but I find with landscapes you really need to go someplace - get a feel for the place and you can work out how the light falls - what will block it etc once there. My rule of thumb - If you shoot facing west - go in the morning - if you shoot facing east - go in the evening - this will avoid getting the sun into the frame.

I like TPE but I find with landscapes you really need to go someplace - get a feel for the place and you can work out how the light falls - what will block it etc once there. My rule of thumb - If you shoot facing west - go in the morning - if you shoot facing east - go in the evening - this will avoid getting the sun into the frame.

I thought they had a 3D version now that can show you exactly how the light will fall?

I thought they had a 3D version now that can show you exactly how the light will fall?

Haven’t used that version. It’s a good basic tool but I still think the best way is to get to know a location and work it as you go.

I am extremely guilty of going to the same places over and over - in part for this reason

The Photographers Ephemeris, Tide Times & Clear outside are my favourites, I do find Met Office is probably the most accurate for the weather though, BBC weather is the least accurate ive found

Photopills (bought the day before they had a half-price sale :(), OS Maps (both app & old school paper 1:25k maps), My TideTimes Pro, Instagram & YouTube (both for research & inspiration).

I've used TPE & Photo Time in the past, but Photopills seems to gel better with my brain.

Back