LAOWA 15mm f/4

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
As a recently approved ambassador for LAOWA Optics, they have kindly sent me their 15mm wide angle 1:1 macro lens to have a play with. These are the first pics I have edited with it.

It's a quirky lens (even has a shift function!) and is quite a challenge to use - the closest focussing distance has the subject almost touch the lens!

Being a wide angle lens, it gives a totally unique perspective which is both tough, but fun to use... Changing from f/4 to f/32 makes a huge difference to the BG...

It's good and sharp for macro too, considering its price, this is very good!

15berries_4k_1800.jpg15buttercupinsect0_4k_1800.jpg15swanfeather1_4k_1800.jpg15swanfeather2_4k_1800.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Interesting set of images Paul. And congrats (y)

I guess they will be passing you more lens's and or kit in the future?
Feel free to start a review type thread, if you wish..

Interesting set of images Paul. And congrats (y)

I guess they will be passing you more lens's and or kit in the future?
Feel free to start a review type thread, if you wish..

Thanks Chris.

I'm hopeful I'll get something different, just keeping my fingers crossed and chatting with my contact in HK.

I'll maybe do a review type one once I have sorted out how to do their affiliation links!

Paul.

Thanks Chris.

I'm hopeful I'll get something different, just keeping my fingers crossed and chatting with my contact in HK.

I'll maybe do a review type one once I have sorted out how to do their affiliation links!

Paul.
Just person views Paul, no affiliate links I'm afraid.
They are just not allowed.

Congrats Paul.
I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

No Bill. I'm using the 60mm, but they may send me a 100 in the future.

Paul.

Laowa 100mm Macro lens

Paul, I read the following on the LAOWA web site .......... I need a little help with understanding what they mean

firstly it states that, "Only Canon EF version is equipped with a CPU chip and motor for aperture control via the camera. All other mounts are manual and aperture is controlled by the aperture ring on the lens"

BUT then it goes on to add a further paragraph

– Automatic Aperture (Canon EF) , Aperture Coupling (Nikon F)
The Canon version of the Laowa 100mm Macro lens is equipped with an aperture control motor and CPU chip. The aperture can be controlled via the camera body (no aperture control ring on the lens body) and the aperture will close only during shutter release. Photographers no longer need to compose their shots in a dark viewfinder. A focus assistance indicator will also be shown in the camera. EXIF data can also be saved.

All other mounts are manual and aperture is controlled by the aperture ring on the lens. For Canon RF users, please select Canon EF mount and use it with EF-EOS R adapter should you want to have automatic aperture function."

It mentions the Nikon F and "Aperture Coupling" in the title - do you know if this means that it will perform the same as the Canon re: focus assist, EXIF data etc.,

why have they included Aperture Coupling (Nikon F) in the same paragraph as the Canon?

Last edited:
As far as I know, only the Canon EF 100 will see what aperture you set on the camera - all the rest see no lens attached and will show as f/00. The R adaptor would also allow that to work.

The images record shutter speeds and ISO, but no aperture data.

As for the text in the pages on their website, I can't explain. Maybe their language hasn't translated well to English.

They can of course be contacted through their site if you want to ask them...

Paul.

As far as I know, only the Canon EF 100 will see what aperture you set on the camera - all the rest see no lens attached and will show as f/00. The R adaptor would also allow that to work.

The images record shutter speeds and ISO, but no aperture data.

As for the text in the pages on their website, I can't explain. Maybe their language hasn't translated well to English.

They can of course be contacted through their site if you want to ask them...

Paul.

Thanks Paul

Back