Laowa 9mm

Edit My Images
Yes
This lens is creating some interest, and is now available on pre-order in the good old U S of A.
Those in little old UK who are thinking of getting the lens might have a bit of a wait to get their hands on one.
I asled Venus Optics when and where it would be available this side of the Atlantic and this is their reply...

The estimate available date of the 9mm lens will be the middle of April.

It depends on the demand and the orders in England.

It should be available in England around the late of April or the beginning of May.

Thanks,

Ming

Make of that what you will, but you won't have one for Easter!

Laowa 9mm F2 8 (4)

We had a hands-on look at the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D manual focus lens at The Photography Show 2018. The lens is the World's widest rectilinear f/2.8 lens for APS-C cameras with zero distortion according to Laowa, and features a 49mm filter thread. Available to buy for the first time ever at The Photography Show, priced at £499, the lens is available for Fujifilm X-Mount, Sony E mount and Canon EOS-M.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/laowa-9mm-f-2-8-zero-d-uk-price-32075

Venus are accepting pre-orders (I nearly pressed the button), for delivery in early to mid April.

Its available for US$499 direct from Laowa http://www.venuslens.net/product/9mm/ with free shipping, though I suspect that you might (be caught) and have to add VAT to that.

I think I'm going to wait until I see some more reviews and images before pressing the button (I know thats unlike me, but hey I'm a reformed GAS man!!)

Yes. Pre orders are USA only. I too nearly made that mistake. Of course the cost might still be the same when it's on sale here. VAT, all sort of taxes and courier and Post Office handling fees will easily add £200 on to the cost making it not worthwhle at present.

Yes. Pre orders are USA only. I too nearly made that mistake. Of course the cost might still be the same when it's on sale here. VAT, all sort of taxes and courier and Post Office handling fees will easily add £200 on to the cost making it not worthwhle at present.

You can through the Laowa checkout and specify a UK delivery address, I could see any mention on the Laowa website about pre-orders being US only.

As far as I can tell the show mentioned has now gone - if they mean the Birmingham one. Nobody is crowing about having the lens so we must assume it wasn't for sale.

Really interesting lens! Did anyone find a shop to buy this lens already?

Tokina do an 11mm f2.8 and it has far less strech at the edges than this 9mm lens. And the Tokina is a zoom far more versitile. And it autofocuses.

Tokina do an 11mm f2.8 and it has far less strech at the edges than this 9mm lens. And the Tokina is a zoom far more versitile. And it autofocuses.
Yes but it only comes in Canikon fitting according to the reviews I can see. And I have a 14mm in my bag. And this is Huuuge.

They are ok Frank I've driven up myself in the past to purchase from them.
Yes, thanks Andy. I've just been digging. They are a unit on the industrial estate. Know the area well. Only a short drive away from me. Company info looks good. As I said...tempting, especially as I can see the lens before I buy.

Yes, thanks Andy. I've just been digging. They are a unit on the industrial estate. Know the area well. Only a short drive away from me. Company info looks good. As I said...tempting, especially as I can see the lens before I buy.

If you buy do you have a Samyang 12mm to sell, after a not so good year im back on my feet and getting into photography again!!

If you buy do you have a Samyang 12mm to sell, after a not so good year im back on my feet and getting into photography again!!
No 12mm I'm afraid. Widest I have is 14mm and I'm keeping that.
(To save cluttering up this thread a PM is on it's way.)

I've never heard of them, but Clitheroe is nobbut a cockstride away. Tempting.
They used to be in the centre of Clitheroe, next to a pie shop. I bought my first digital camera from them back in the 90s. They've moved out to an industrial estate on the outskirts now to fulfil mail-order stuff, but I believe you can still visit. 15 minutes from me.

Mrs Nod makes a cracking pie! Only veggie ones but they're pretty damn good.

Back