laptop advice

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
ok i am looking to upgrade my laptop
I have chance of a ex display model any opinions please.
specs etc.
Technical specifications for ASUS ROG Strix GL703GM 17.3" Intel® Core™ i7 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
OVERVIEW
Type Gaming laptop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor
- Dual-core
- 2.2 GHz / 3.9 GHz
- 9 MB cache
RAM 8 GB (2666 MHz)
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
- 6 GB GDDR5
Storage - 1 TB HDD (5400 rpm)
- 128 GB SSD
SCREEN
Touchscreen No
Screen size 17.3"
Screen type LED
Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080p
Screen features 120 Hz display
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - AC WiFi
- 2x2
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet port
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
USB - USB Type-C x 1
- USB 3.1 x 4
Video connections - HDMI x 1
- Mini DisplayPort x 1
Audio connections 3.5 mm jack
SOUND
Audio software Smart AMP
Speakers 2 x 4 W speakers
MEDIA
Disc drive No
Memory card reader SD
FEATURES
Camera 720p HD webcam
Mouse / trackpad Multi-touch trackpad
Keyboard RGB backlit keyboard with numerical keypad
Security features Kensington security lock slot
POWER
Battery type 4-cell Lithium-ion
Battery life Up to 6 hours
GENERAL
Colour Gun metal black
Box contents - ASUS ROG Strix GL703GM 17.3" Intel® Core™ i7 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop
- Power supply
- Adapter cable
- Instructions
Dimensions 24 x 412 x 272 mm (H x W x D)
Weight 2.95 kg

The ASUS ROG Strix GL703GM 17.3" Intel® Core™ i7 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop is part of our Gaming range, which features the most powerful PCs available today. It has superior graphics and processing performance to suit the most demanding gamer.

Fast Intel® Core™ i7 processor

When it comes to getting the best performance, you'll need a processor that can handle it all. That's why the ROG Strix GL703GM has an 8th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor. Together with 8 GB of RAM, the fast processor helps you run your favourite games, and makes multitasking feel smoother.

NVIDIA GeForce graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics makes your games look better, and run more fluidly. You'll notice the benefits while playing games such as Overwatch, and graphic-intensive titles such as The Witcher – where specs make a real difference to gameplay.

Want to take your gaming to the next level? VR gaming delivers new and more immersive ways to play. With GeForce GTX 1060, you'll be VR-ready - all you need is a headset.

Large 17.3” Full HD screen

The 17.3” Full HD display offers a wider view of the action, so you can see even more detail and colour. But it's the high 120 Hz refresh rate that really brings your games to life. A high refresh rate means smoother gameplay. The payoff? A competitive advantage in fast-paced multiplayer shooters, where quick reactions are key to victory.

Anti-Dust cooling

Enjoy great performance all-round thanks to Anti-Dust Cooling, which keeps dust away from your fans. That means your laptop won't struggle with overheating while you're hours deep in an intense gaming session.

ASUS Aura RGB keyboard lighting

Light up your gameplay with an endless spectrum of colours. ASUS Aura RGB keyboard lighting isn't just any old lighting. It also lets you match the mood to your music and in-game action. So when you come to an intense part in the game, your keyboard will react with bright lighting effects.

Specs looks ok for what it is but I would say that for photo editing the balance is wrong, this is aimed at more power at the cost of a good screen, for photos you want a better screen at the cost of power (photo editing doesn't take much oomph).

Also, I would question the point of a 17" laptop unless you have very specific circumstances, 17" is generally too big to be portable (the usual reason for a laptop) but not big enough to be usefully bigger than a laptop and a desktop would be much better bang for buck.

Specs looks ok for what it is but I would say that for photo editing the balance is wrong, this is aimed at more power at the cost of a good screen, for photos you want a better screen at the cost of power (photo editing doesn't take much oomph).

Also, I would question the point of a 17" laptop unless you have very specific circumstances, 17" is generally too big to be portable (the usual reason for a laptop) but not big enough to be usefully bigger than a laptop and a desktop would be much better bang for buck.

portability is not a requirement as we do not have room for a desktop so we just use laptops.

The important question is what do you want to use the laptop for e.g. photo editing with Adobe CC etc... Also, how much is the laptop in order to compare it ?

I would personally be concerned with the lack of RAM - can this be upgraded and how much by. for what cost.

Also, it's a slow spinning HDD and not much SSD space. Would want a larger SSD and less or no HDD for quicker boot up and operation.

The rest of it looks high spec, which is fine if your uses require it or you want to game.

The laptop you have listied is a massive spec Gaming laptop hence the 1060 graphics card, this is way overspecced for photo editing.
The Ram is ok at 8gb (16gb would be nice)
The screen again is a gaming focused at 120hz.
128gb SSD and 1TB normal HDD is ok

I would look elsewhere to be fair as I bed it will be heavy as hell as well.

ok any advice appreciated I am budgeting for about £900 and really do require a 17 inch as i find 15 a bit small for my liking.

Is this because you struggle to see or because you don't have enough space on the desktop?

I find the images to be looking small on the 15 inch screen i have at present and yes struggle to see somewhat and would like something a little bigger.
I have plenty of space on the desktop as i organise things into sub folders.

Ok, so moving to a higher resolution 15” isn’t really the answer, fair enough :)

I’ve been out of the Windows machine game for a long time (switched to Mac) but in the ‘good’ old days I would have been looking at the Dell refurb store for a Windows laptop, they tend to have good screens too.

Ok, so moving to a higher resolution 15” isn’t really the answer, fair enough :)

I’ve been out of the Windows machine game for a long time (switched to Mac) but in the ‘good’ old days I would have been looking at the Dell refurb store for a Windows laptop, they tend to have good screens too.

just been looking at the dell store lol
I like the look of the top end 17 2 in 1 It has a IPS screen 16gb ram and 500gb nvme.
It has no second hard drive but i do have a spare 1tb 5200 drive i could put in it.
It would be over my budget as comes in at £1099 but a couple of weeks and i will have the extra money + you never know with black friday etc.

Don't be afraid to try their live chat and haggle, ask what offers are on.

Also, keep an eye on the Dell Outlet site for some bargains. In my experience, and I have bought loads from there, they always look like brand new stock.

Also Flash Sale on until 10pm, 10% of laptops. Code is SAVE10

Last edited:
The links all work for me still. Anyway, I think you'd find that to be good - only thing is that it only has 500GB of storage, and for photography a better option might be a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD for storing images.
it says its a nvme m.2 drive and the spec sheets say it has a hdd drive space and i have a 1tb hdd drive sat in a drawer so i thought that might be a good work around which would then mean i have the 512 nvme and a 1tb which i could always swap out at a later date to bigger if needed ?

Does anyone know do they ever update the tracking details ?
I know the expected delivery date by this is Tuesday but i would have thought it must have moved somewhere since the 23rd lol

ETA 04/12/2018 Please check the order history below for any possible delays.

History Date...........Time.........Location..............Activity
23/11/18.....................06:10........CHINA..................DEPARTED......... MANU.FACILITY

Last edited:
Oops. Could flog your old drive on the forum or ebay & buy a 7mm jobbie? Or pop it in a caddy if you keep it.

Oops. Could flog your old drive on the forum or ebay & buy a 7mm jobbie? Or pop it in a caddy if you keep it.

I already have a caddy so think buy a new one and can keep it as a second storage.
The Barracuda at currys does not look too bad a price for a 2tb + I could pick it up tomorrow :)

Back