Laptop and Lightroom

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Here is my dilemma, i am currently editing my images with the free lightroom app on my iPad and it only has limited tools. I have a laptop but i am not sure it will run the desktop version of lightroom well, so i don't want to sign up for the subscription and my laptop not be able to cope with the demands. I also don't want to buy another more powerful laptop as i am new to photography, and don't want to spend loads on a laptop then get bored of the hobby. So, i am thinking do i just get the premium version of lightroom for iPad at £4.49p/m, i have included an image of my laptop specs as well. Thanks in advanced.

PC Specs.JPG
It also has a 2TB hard drive.

Download the free trial of Lightroom and see if it works?

Last time I looked you could still buy the standalone version -about £100 I think.

Last edited:
If you are only using it for editing how about giving a standalone version of Photoshop Elements a try?

Download the free trial of Lightroom and see if it works?

Last time I looked you could still buy the standalone version -about £100 I think.

I didn’t realise you could get a free trial, will do that. Thank you

Is it similar to light room?

Not really, it has the editing features but in a different layout/system and without the file management system (which is why most people stay with LR).

FWIW, neither LR or PS need much in the way of processing power, as long as it is reasonably recent it should be fine.

Not really, it has the editing features but in a different layout/system and without the file management system (which is why most people stay with LR).

FWIW, neither LR or PS need much in the way of processing power, as long as it is reasonably recent it should be fine.

Ok great thanks. My laptop is around 18 months old, so it should be fine then.

Its a cut down version of Photoshop so mainly an editing suite
Worth giving the trial version a go and see what you think of it
https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-elements.html?promoid=DW3G16F3&mv=other

Ok thanks, I will try Lightroom and Elements trial versions.

Adobe are doing 33% off till March, not sure if it’s all packages or just the whole bundle.

Hi, Here is my dilemma, i am currently editing my images with the free lightroom app on my iPad and it only has limited tools. I have a laptop but i am not sure it will run the desktop version of lightroom well, so i don't want to sign up for the subscription and my laptop not be able to cope with the demands. I also don't want to buy another more powerful laptop as i am new to photography, and don't want to spend loads on a laptop then get bored of the hobby. So, i am thinking do i just get the premium version of lightroom for iPad at £4.49p/m, i have included an image of my laptop specs as well. Thanks in advanced.

View attachment 238231
It also has a 2TB hard drive.

ANY desktop and laptop computer approximately up to between 5 to 10 years old will be able to handle Lightroom, Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements, just like those desktops and laptops are capable of handling any other software, like Word, Excel, iTunes, and even the Internet.

They can manage with a minimum of 4GB RAM, but usually extra RAM, as much as you can, often helps. In your case you got 8GB of RAM which is great.

It is usually if you want to play First Person Shooter 3D games like Call of Duty and so on, that you should take extra care to check your hardware including graphic cards, but otherwise for LR and PS, just any machines will do, as long as it have 4GB RAM or more.

ANY desktop and laptop computer approximately up to between 5 to 10 years old will be able to handle Lightroom, Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements, just like those desktops and laptops are capable of handling any other software, like Word, Excel, iTunes, and even the Internet.

They can manage with a minimum of 4GB RAM, but usually extra RAM, as much as you can, often helps. In your case you got 8GB of RAM which is great.

It is usually if you want to play First Person Shooter 3D games like Call of Duty and so on, that you should take extra care to check your hardware including graphic cards, but otherwise for LR and PS, just any machines will do, as long as it have 4GB RAM or more.

Great, my laptop should run it fine then.

There are lots of things you can do to speed up your processing workflow in Lightroom. Generating Smart Previews when you import your images and then using those in the develop module makes things much faster, as Lightroom doesn't have to load up your original raw file for development. Your import takes longer but you have a much more responsive editing experience

Back