laptop at night matches

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
quite happy wiht my laptop but struggle at night matches to see the keyboard sometimes.. has anyone got a laptop with a lit up keyboard? is it backlit? thats not a mac

Dell do one (XPS-something-or-other) where you can spec a backlit keyboard as an optional extra.

I'm going for it at the next IT-upgrade...

LINKY

Last edited by a moderator:
quite happy wiht my laptop but struggle at night matches to see the keyboard sometimes.. has anyone got a laptop with a lit up keyboard? is it backlit? thats not a mac

Tony,

There is a mini light available that runs from a spare USB socket...If you get an LED type one, they only use a minimal amount of power and produce a very good amount of light....Led's are available in Daylight White, Red, Blue etc etc

Simon Tug Wilson

my dell does its a studio 15, I wouldnt advise mine unless you have power though the extended saddle battery gives me like 2-3 hours tops, but its specced as an editing machine - the upside of the macs is they use twin graphics cards a little one for when you aren't working hard (saves LOADS of power) and a massive one where you are, I just have the massive one :p

Cheers tug will look into that.. I have a dell lattitude e6500 over 1k of spec but get annoyed with the keyboard no light :(

Short term the USB one...gets you up and going quickly but from the prices Gary mentions that sounds like a great long term solution...and at the right price too..
Hope the Hips getting better Gary

...you can but a backlit keyboard from all over the place for the E6500, i have put several in on latpots ive owned, its an easy job as well...

I didn't realise they were retro-fittable - I had a quick search but they don't seem to be any for the 2010 Inspiron 1564...:(

Tony,

There is a mini light available that runs from a spare USB socket...If you get an LED type one, they only use a minimal amount of power and produce a very good amount of light....Led's are available in Daylight White, Red, Blue etc etc

Simon Tug Wilson

Beat me to it. Cheap as chips the LED lights and they are normally flexible, so you can adjust their position

I didn't realise they were retro-fittable - I had a quick search but they don't seem to be any for the 2010 Inspiron 1564...:(
Worth checking to see if it uses the same keyboard as another model and search for that one, the E6500 keyboard is used by about 6 different Dell model laptops

Worth checking to see if it uses the same keyboard as another model and search for that one, the E6500 keyboard is used by about 6 different Dell model laptops

It doesn't even use the same keyboard as the old 15" Inspiron series...

According to some frenzied internet searching, it should be available as an option, as the drivers are available for download... can't find a part number though and the Dell website is spectacularly useless in this regard.

Heres a link for fitting

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6500/en/sm/html/keyboard.htm#wp1179980

Just be aware that its also dependant on which bios revision was first installed on the lappy Tony, worth delving into the bios settings to see if the option to switch on and off the backlight option is there, if not then youre screwed, even updating the Bios wont help, i think youre OK from revision 14 onwards but not 100% sure, motherboards with those revisions onwards also had the extra ribbon connection required for the backlight, you could also take out your current KB to visually check if there is a spare section for the extra "ribbon" to slot into

It doesn't even use the same keyboard as the old 15" Inspiron series...

According to some frenzied internet searching, it should be available as an option, as the drivers are available for download... can't find a part number though and the Dell website is spectacularly useless in this regard.

Part No will be on the back of the KB, obviously need to remove it to see it, itll also be stamped on the very top of the ribbon connector but so small you will never see it

Part No will be on the back of the KB, obviously need to remove it to see it, itll also be stamped on the very top of the ribbon connector but so small you will never see it

Remove the keyboard - without the proper tools..........

Maybe after this week's jobs, perhaps...:puke:

You only need a single micro crosshead/phillips screwdriver, go on ya big softy :LOL:

Yeah yeah yeah - like all the Halfords manuals that say 'prise gently with a flat-head screwdriver' and you end up with three mates and a 12-foot crowbar levering some flimsy plastic part off that JUST WON'T BUDGE no matter what, eventually snapping the retaining-lugs off and then finding out that you can only get replacements from the USA on the 29th of February and today's March 1st during a Leap-Year...

Mmmm...Right...lol

Yeah yeah yeah - like all the Halfords manuals that say 'prise gently with a flat-head screwdriver' and you end up with three mates and a 12-foot crowbar levering some flimsy plastic part off that JUST WON'T BUDGE no matter what,

There is usually a screw holding it on from the back :p

I have a pair of lights I can clip on to the screen and they light the keyboard up.

Last edited:
It's a Dell laptop for goodness sake - just give it a shake and the keyboard will fall out anyway :LOL:

my dell does its a studio 15, I wouldnt advise mine unless you have power though the extended saddle battery gives me like 2-3 hours tops, but its specced as an editing machine - the upside of the macs is they use twin graphics cards a little one for when you aren't working hard (saves LOADS of power) and a massive one where you are, I just have the massive one :p

I was thinking of fitting one on my studio 17 but youve got me worried now, i would only be using it when out and about as it`d docked at home so battery life would be a big concern. How much of a diffrence does it really make on the battery life?

I have no idea, the battery life on my laptop in general is awful, it was more a pro mac argument with the way more efficient use of power they have

My 2 tactics - the already mentioned Maplin USB lights, just bought another one this afternoon, still £5.99 I have loads, at least one in every camera bag.

Second - bluetooth waterproof backlit keyboard, so your laptop stays in whatever you use to keep it dry and you just get the keyboard wet.

I've got a DELL Studio XPS 13 thats my pitchside lappy, its got full size keys and its backlit, very nice but I've had to buy a 9 Cell batt as it drains quickly on the standard battery cannot get a full 90mins out of it.

My 2 tactics - the already mentioned Maplin USB lights, just bought another one this afternoon, still £5.99 I have loads, at least one in every camera bag.

Second - bluetooth waterproof backlit keyboard, so your laptop stays in whatever you use to keep it dry and you just get the keyboard wet.

Andy,

Do you have a linky for the Bluetooth KB ?

Tug

Back