Laptop behaving weird...

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
In the last 24hrs my laptop has suddenly started doing something unusual. I'm sure someone on here will know straight away what it is.
Whilst surfing the net, I notice on the bottom tool bar there are minimised pages that have suddenly appeared. If I open them, they are usually adverts or similar. Sometimes related to whatever page you were looking at. Different company but similar subject.
I assume its some sort of spam? But how do I stop it? :shrug: Its already annoying me after this short time!

Kev.

You sound like you have a case of spyware or adware....there are loads of tools available to remove it, none of which I can remember...but I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to reel them off! :)

Thanks for the quick reply. ;) I ran Norton, but it hasnt found it. :( I'll try again.
thanks again.

Kev.

Norton is an anti virus, not anti spyware.....a total different kettle of fish! :)

I think AVG do a free anti spyware tool come to think of it, failing that, Google should throw something up!

Try spybot. and if you are using internet explorer try to change the secutiry settings by going to TOOLS tab while browsing.

Great. thanks everyone. I'm on the case right now. Norton has found spyware in scans before though and deleted them.

Kev.

I don't have any spyware/adware sortware on my pc. Either I am extremly lucky or Vistas Defender and Firefox does a good job of stopping the infections! :)

I use Avast for virus as well if that makes a difference!?

I don't do much surfing though, so that probably helps.

I use Free Avast aswell and also use ad aware and spybot. Seems to do the trick for me.

I used to use AVG but it never really found anything, once i installed avast it found loads of viruses which AVG didnt find.

Avira is another free antivirus which is pretty good. :D

It sounds very much like spyware of some sort. If it's only happened in the last day or so, and the anti spyware programs aren't having any success, it may be worth running system restore to get back to a point just before it happened.

It sounds very much like spyware of some sort. If it's only happened in the last day or so, and the anti spyware programs aren't having any success, it may be worth running system restore to get back to a point just before it happened.

Looks like I'm going to have to do that. Spyware programmes aren't sorting it. :(

Why is it people slag off Norton.

Yes it used to be a bloat but not for several years now
I run it on 2 of my test machines and it takes up less than 5MB of RAM at its worst, less when just sitting in thebackground.

It is a good program for the average jor eho does not understand what to keep an eye on

2009 is even lighter

Like others have said stay away from norton it's a pain in the rear end and your wallet.

If you already have it google for norton removal tool.

I can personally recomend Comodo as a great protection program that's free and as others have said Ad-Aware and Spybot S & D are also great programs that are free and very effective at the removal of junk if your system is already infected with spyware/adware

Comodo Antivirus & Firewall
Ad-Aware
Spybot S & D

Whilst surfing the net, I notice on the bottom tool bar there are minimised pages that have suddenly appeared. If I open them, they are usually adverts or similar.

Sounds like you need a decent 'pop up' or 'pop behind' stopper to me.

Ive been using this one for a few years with no problems.

Clicky Here.

Which internet browser do you use? If it's just pop ups most browsers these days do a good job of stopping those. Have you tried using another internet browser and seeing if it still happens?

kev,download malwarbytes and update and do a full scan in safe mode,this a very good scanner,hopefully this will find,then download avast 4.8 has virus/spyware detection built in,both free,get back to us all how you get on.best of luck Paul.

Hi guys. I havent downloaded explorer 8, so i assume I'm on 7. I have downloaded just about everything I can think of now and it STILL haunts me. Typical example is, I'll come onto this forum and when I open a particular subject and look at the bottom toolbar, I will see a minimised page that is an advert for something related to that page I am on. For example someone advertising photo printing. Its driving me mad!

Kev – have you checked your internet explorer property settings for security & privacy?

Is the little pop up blocker box under privacy checked? (if not click on it)

Are your settings at medium or medium high? If there at low push up the slider.

HTH
Cyb

Kev – have you checked your internet explorer property settings for security & privacy?

Is the little pop up blocker box under privacy checked? (if not click on it)

Are your settings at medium or medium high? If there at low push up the slider.

HTH
Cyb

You may have it! ;) just checked and it was set to block pop ups, but set to low. I have now moved to medium. Lets wait and see.. :D

Thank you.
Kev.

kev,download malwarbytes and update and do a full scan in safe mode,this a very good scanner,hopefully this will find,then download avast 4.8 has virus/spyware detection built in,both free,get back to us all how you get on.best of luck Paul.

The only one that sorted it! 15 infections found! Thank you Paul and everyone for your help. :)

Kev.

Back