Laptop for tethered shooting

Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting a laptop to use for tethered shooting. Ideally as cheaply as possible. It won't be used for editing so any advice on spec and likely cost much appreciated

If you get a cheap/old/slow one you'll just end up jumping up and down on it with frustration. That is unless you work as slow as the processor is.

Capture One is better at tethering than Lightroom as it's faster (as you may know). If you combine a slow processor and limited RAM with LR it will be as slow as a slow thing swimming in molasses.

If you get a cheap/old/slow one you'll just end up jumping up and down on it with frustration. That is unless you work as slow as the processor is.

Capture One is better at tethering than Lightroom as it's faster (as you may know). If you combine a slow processor and limited RAM with LR it will be as slow as a slow thing swimming in molasses.
Thanks for that. What would you advise as a minimum spec please

Anything less than an i5 6600K CPU @ 3.5GHZ and 16Gig of RAM (what I'm using) would have me reaching for a sledgehammer.

I got a MacBook Air second hand for 300 quid. Works perfectly for tethering my D800.

Also very light to carry around.

I'd never touch anything made by Apple - sorry (ex electronics computer engineer).

I'd never touch anything made by Apple - sorry (ex electronics computer engineer).

Maybe the OP won't be similarly prejudiced :D

If you want to pull them apart and do things, MBAs are awful. If you want a small light machine that will do what the OP wants, they are awesome.

Back