laptop HDD's

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of help, I have 2 x60gig HDD in my laptop but for some reason I beleive connected to the setup bios setup of raid array only one is being used when i boot up and enter into the Bios they are both there but once in vista only one is shown,
if this means anything here you go
current state
built in - HDD1= JBOD
built in - HDD2= JBOD

if you need anything else or can help feel free.

Michael.

I take it you can only see 60Gb in windows then?

I don't know Vista, but in the XP (I'm guessing it's similar) control panel in Admin Tools, fire up Computer Management, then Disk management. Can you see the additional disk there ? If so, is it initialised and available for windows to use ?

Hi, yes I only have 60 gig on system going via control panel>divice manager>Disk Drives they are both there.

Michael

Can you get into the BIOS of the computer and see how HD's are configured there.

Also if you can have a look at the drives themselves, is there a jumper designating one as master and the other as slave. The position of the jumpers should be shown on the HD's

Can you get into the BIOS of the computer and see how HD's are configured there.

Also if you can have a look at the drives themselves, is there a jumper designating one as master and the other as slave. The position of the jumpers should be shown on the HD's

in the BIOS system setup 2/3

Drives I/O
built-in HDD1= serial 1 ata port 0
built-in HDD2= serial 2 ata port 2

system setup 3/3
raid array
current state JB0D

level= JB0D
status optimal
status online

Hope this helps

Try going into control panel - administrative tools - computer management - storage - disk management. There might be an option to format/mount something like that?

What RAID configuration are the two drives using?

If it's RAID 1 then you will only see one 60GB.

What RAID configuration are the two drives using?

If it's RAID 1 then you will only see one 60GB.

the BIOS settings that can be changed to RAID1 or RAID2 currently set to JBOD when I change it to RAID1 or 2 it says OS will need re installed :(

Michael.

Try going into control panel - administrative tools - computer management - storage - disk management. There might be an option to format/mount something like that?
This. On Vista the route is Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Create and format hard disk partitions (you'll find this option right at the bottom).

When you get here, look in the bottom list. Do you have two 60GB disks? If you do, you need to create a partition on the second disk and format it. Click the right mouse button in the space to the right of the unformatted disk and select 'Create partition'.

This. On Vista the route is Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Create and format hard disk partitions (you'll find this option right at the bottom).

When you get here, look in the bottom list. Do you have two 60GB disks? If you do, you need to create a partition on the second disk and format it. Click the right mouse button in the space to the right of the unformatted disk and select 'Create partition'.

Hi Mark, thank you very much this has been ****ing me off for such a long time now just seen your reply and straight away it was the fix I needed thanks again.

Michael.

Back