Laptop, man enough?

VEM

Edit My Images
No
sorry if wrong section...

I'm not too hot on computer memory figures etc... I need a laptop to use for editing, needs to be "man enough" (or woman!) to run big programs like lightroom etc without dieing an early death,
these are the basic stats...
Macbook Pro 15", 2.0 GHz, 80GB, Ram 2GB

Any words of advice on what sort of ram or any of the garjon appreciated. :)

If you log onto crucial.com it will work out what memory you need. 4Gb is best for speed. Fitting a bigger hdd would help - 320gb hard drives are cheap (£ 60).

Fitting - not so easy on a MBP I understand.

go for Mac Pro! :) Mac Pro is the best, i have got it for free hehe :p

Mac has changed my life! Before i thought I'd like to get Windows laptop but when i got the Mac laptop, its so amazing- easier to design, edit and more!

thats exactly what my sister said - dont entertain anything other than a Mac (she is a photographer) i looked at the Mac pro's thought they may be the answer, just so expensive but sure they are worth it, heard many a good review.

thanks for link andrewc that is very handy.

if your still unsure, try hire a Mac laptop? :)

i must admit my self since iv got in to photography im looking at getting a mac, my laptop that i got just after new years brand new, goes slower than a snail everytime i use photoshop. and vista is a joke. MAC for sure.

Ask a friendly computer maintenance place, what chip you can get into the machine and how much RAM you can get into it. Add the cost of an external hard disk. See what the answer is.

Then price the Mac and the software you need to buy. Compare the two numbers. Spin a coin with heads equals "Buy Mac" and tails equals "Extend present lap top". When coin lands, decide if you like its advice and proceed.

I got a laptop, non Mac, about March this year and it still runs like a very fast thing, :) and the processor isn't the fastest. I did get it with XP though. ;) I wouldn't bother with Vista.

I think a rule that is relevant with computers, but laptops in particular, is buy the most powerful processor you can afford. With a desktop, Window$ and Linux PCs anyway, almost everything can be changed and upgraded. Macs not as much, though I think that is changing. With laptops the processor is fixed. You can normally add more RAM, you can add a bigger hard drive, though not as easily as to a desktop, but the processor is the thing you have to live with.

That said many of the new multi core processors will breeze through most things.

Macs have their devotees, as do the other lot, and if you have the money, Macs seem to be the way to go. I don't have that much money, and my work involves demonstrating stuff to people who have Window$ PCs (95% anyway), so it makes sense to have a Win laptop.

As for Macs being more stable, I haven't had a crash on either of my PC's for years. But then I built my desktop so I know there was no cr*p in it to start off with. ;) All the rubbish in it now I have added. :LOL:

sorry if wrong section...

I'm not too hot on computer memory figures etc... I need a laptop to use for editing, needs to be "man enough" (or woman!) to run big programs like lightroom etc without dieing an early death,

you have 2GB of memory which is more than enough to run lightroom, CS3.etc.

Back