Laptop Memory upgrade

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I am contemplating upgrading the memory in my HP laptop 15s-fq2 from 8gb ,2*4gb to 16 gb -2*8gb.
Just been watching a You Tube video and the guy removes the battery, even though the memory modules are easily accessible without doing this.
Is there any reason for this or is the guy just showing how the remove the battery?
Any ideas

Chris

It is a theoretically good idea, especially if you might short a track when handling metal tools. Consider it best practice.

I am contemplating upgrading the memory in my HP laptop 15s-fq2 from 8gb ,2*4gb to 16 gb -2*8gb.
Just been watching a You Tube video and the guy removes the battery, even though the memory modules are easily accessible without doing this.
Is there any reason for this or is the guy just showing how the remove the battery?
Any ideas

Chris
Probably useful insurance against accidentally having the power on whilst mucking about with memory modules…

It's also worth making sure you are grounded to avoid risk of static damage.
You can get special dummy plugs (which have only the earth pin connected) and wrist straps for the purpose, not expensive.

I agree with the replies above that when working on electronics you need to make sure power is removed to avoid risking a short.

If you want to do things the ultra safe way then do the following:

1. Discharge yourself of any static, touch something metal or use other anti static methods
2. Disconnect the battery
3. Discharge any residual power by pressing down and holding the power button for around 5 to 10 seconds
4. Swap out the RAM

Or you could do what I do:

1. Swap out the RAM

Have been worked in the computer/IT world for years doing it my way without issue

Your mileage may vary of course and you ultimately need to do what you feel is the best for you.

If you want to do things the ultra safe way then do the following:

1. Discharge yourself of any static, touch something metal or use other anti static methods
2. Disconnect the battery
3. Discharge any residual power by pressing down and holding the power button for around 5 to 10 seconds
4. Swap out the RAM

Or you could do what I do:

1. Swap out the RAM

Have been worked in the computer/IT world for years doing it my way without issue

Your mileage may vary of course and you ultimately need to do what you feel is the best for you.
In a previous job the company designed and made their own custom circuit boards for the electronic controllers in the machines they built - the guys who did that were very careful to always make sure they were properly grounded before touching anything, as when handling electronics like that every day, they had seen far too many cased of components fried by static when people didn't do so.
You may well get away with it for years if it's something you only do infrequently - but why take the risk when it's so cheap and easy to avoid it?

If I decide to do this and that is not certain I will take it to a repair shop, then if they fry it it's their problem not mine

In a previous job the company designed and made their own custom circuit boards for the electronic controllers in the machines they built - the guys who did that were very careful to always make sure they were properly grounded before touching anything, as when handling electronics like that every day, they had seen far too many cased of components fried by static when people didn't do so.
You may well get away with it for years if it's something you only do infrequently - but why take the risk when it's so cheap and easy to avoid it?
Yes, I agree., something may be damaged but continue to work for a while, then fail instead of lasting years.

I've worked with CMOS chips for over 40 years, and computers (as a job) since 1995, and have never lost anything yet, my method is very simple though, when changing memory or the CPU, or similar on other equipment, I hold my one hand on the chassis whilst changing the device with the other, that ensures there is no PD between you and the unit.

Around 1986-89 I was in a second-level engineering support group for a now-defunct American computer manufacturer. We all had an ESD course and were issued with a black plastic 'prayer mat', earthing plug and a selection of wrist bands. I can't find the plug but still have (and use) the rest. At the time, one of my group went out to a call to find the engineer with his mat earthed to a filing cabinet in the middle of a patch of nylon carpet.......

Back