Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Friend of mine has inherited an older Dell Laptop tunning either XP or W7
It was her son's who died a few weeks ago
She only wants to use it to watch DVDs as she has no interest in using the internet
Any know or recommend a way to bypass the log in password ?
I think getting professional help would be more then it's worth

You can try booting into safe mode

Otherwise you may need to remove the drive physically (if possible) and connect it to another computer

Assuming no important data simply reinstall Windows.

You can use the utilman.exe hack to reset any windows password. Personally, I use a Linux live boot drive to get unrestricted access to the /windows/system32 files

If the windows password I surmise that the above suggestions will do the job.

However, if I recall correctly when setting up a brand new Dell's require/allow for a sort of "setup owner/user password'. This one does have or did have a Dell backdoor based on the service tag identity of the computer and proof of ownership. For this you need to contact Dell and prove ownership!

A linux live disc or USB will get you in unless the system drive or others have been encrypted - which is why it's vital to encrypt anything you wish to keep really private - and with a good long password - I can get into any computer or laptop in a couple of minutes and so can every enforcement agency in the country (any country) as long as I (or they) have physical access.

Last edited:
Thanks all I give some of these a try
No windows disc available for reinstall, no idea where they were and house has been cleared
I'll give the utilman thingy a go next time I with my mate

You could also install Linux Mint 19.2 or 3 which has VLC already installed - discs are available for a couple of quid from Ebay or you could download an ISO file from the Linux Mint site and burn it to a blank DVD if you have any.

Much the best way to go and it's free unlike Windows and an easy transition from Windows.

You could also install Linux Mint 19.2 or 3 which has VLC already installed - discs are available for a couple of quid from Ebay or you could download an ISO file from the Linux Mint site and burn it to a blank DVD if you have any.

Much the best way to go and it's free unlike Windows and an easy transition from Windows.

For the intended purpose/outcome this seems to be a good suggestion!

TBH Linux will also make the most of the system performance, and should be less laggy than windows.

If you try Mint then go for the 'mate' version for less overhead or try something like Linux Lite that also has good performance on older hardware.

Not my laptop and have never used linux nor has the person who would be showing her how to use it
so getting through the password would be the best solution, plus having no idea what has been left on it it would be handy to clear it all

TBH Linux will also make the most of the system performance, and should be less laggy than windows.

If you try Mint then go for the 'mate' version for less overhead or try something like Linux Lite that also has good performance on older hardware.

I prefer "Cinnamon" myself and actually prefer Mint Cinnamon 18.3 simply because I like the icons better.:)

Ok now got the laptop and it's on Vista so back to the drawing board, no recovery discs available for it

Ummmmm no idea, how do I find that ?

Is the Vista licence key on a sticker on the laptop? Because I “may” have a couple of Vista discs somewhere, if you want me to look for them....

Is the Vista licence key on a sticker on the laptop? Because I “may” have a couple of Vista discs somewhere, if you want me to look for them....
I was just about to ask the same question, which version of Vista is it? I definitely have a few old DELL 'original' Vista installation DVDs right in front of me.....

Or:

“In Windows Vista there is a hidden account called Administrator which does not show up on the login screen but it is always available for use if required. If you didn't change this Administrator's password, the password is empty by default. You can boot up in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 when your computer starts) and log on with the built-in Administrator account. After getting into Windows, you can reset any Vista account password easily!”

From top-password.com

It's vista basic and no key :(

It's vista basic and no key :(
OK,

If all else fails and you wish to go down the Vista reinstall route......

I have a genuine DELL Windows Vista HOME Basic 32bit reinstallation DVD copyright 2007 in my hand right now. If I remember correctly (and this is recalling from memory a good few years ago) you don't need a licence key to reinstall Vista on a DELL laptop using the DELL DVD as the installer on the DVD checks the laptop BIOS during install for something called an SLP key.

You are welcome to have the DVD if you wish to try it, drop me a PM with a postal address & I will mail it to you. You may wish to do some research to verify what I vaguely remember about this though. Also, I noticed on the sleeve the DVD is in that I have written what appears to be a 25 digit 'key' which may or may not be a valid Vista licence key to use......you are welcome to give it a try.

Also, you will probably need to track down device drivers for the various components in the laptop to get everything working. These would have been available on the DELL support website, it might be worth checking if they are still downloadable for the particular model of laptop you are dealing with.

Switching on and tapping the Ctrl+F11 keys may drop you into the recovery partition.
Alternatively, you can tap the F8 as it's booting and select the Repair your Computer option.

You are welcome to have the DVD if you wish to try it, drop me a PM with a postal address & I will mail it to you. You may wish to do some research to verify what I vaguely remember about this though. Also, I noticed on the sleeve the DVD is in that I have written what appears to be a 25 digit 'key' which may or may not be a valid Vista licence key to use......you are welcome to give it a try.

That would be great, if all else fails it's worth a try. I've given up for today before I throw it our of the window
PM on it's way :)
and Thank you

Switching on and tapping the Ctrl+F11 keys may drop you into the recovery partition.
Alternatively, you can tap the F8 as it's booting and select the Repair your Computer option.

Ok I tried the F8 and safe mode, that didn't work, damn thing listed the system files and went straight boot up,
when I've regained my sanity I'll try the F11 option, does it need to be done before it's completed loading up ?

Last time I managed, I started tapping F11 before I hit the switch. Not quite as fast as a woodpecker but pretty close!

Cheers Tori I'll give it a go later and see what happens

I did but it asks for a password get the repair option :banghead:

I assume this is from F8?
Try just pressing enter, the Administrator password may not have been set.

I did but it asks for a password get the repair option :banghead:

If that is pre Windows booting.........I return to my post somewhere above about the Dell security password!

I assume this is from F8?
Try just pressing enter, the Administrator password may not have been set.

It's actually giving me one of the user names, there are 2 and asking for that password.
I have found where to set admin password and loads of other boot ones but none are set
Still hoping to find some info that might help if the person will pass it on

The admin password, unless it was changed, should be empty, so try logging into that, and just clicking OK on the blank password field....

The bootdisc solutions I mentioned will work for Vista too... That said for watching DVDs etc I'd still go Linux (it really isn't hard, and it's probably easier to give remote support if it's needed)

The admin password, unless it was changed, should be empty, so try logging into that, and just clicking OK on the blank password field....

There isn't an Admin account just the father and son user accounts and when you hit repair it asks for one of these passwords, no option to change the user name

If you have Broc's Dell install disk that should go straight on without needing a key - I've reinstalled quite a few Dells from that era. There would have also been a driver disk that came with the system originally.

That said for watching DVDs etc I'd still go Linux (it really isn't hard, and it's probably easier to give remote support if it's needed)

Depending on the system you chose (i.e. Mint) this would certainly be the easiest option, even less hassle than installing windows & then drivers, then updates. I've frequently been amazed at how Linux really does just work out of the box compared to other OSs (even Apple). The installer will walk the user through everything pretty painlessly, and if your friend ever does use it to connect to the internet then they won't have to worry about viruses so much.

Back