Laptop problems

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Heeeelp!

I've just installed zone alarm on my new laptop, it asked to do an automatic restart and not it's permanantly stuck on the "windows is starting up screen". The laptop is totally unresponsive. I've got a feeling I should have turned the windows firewall off first but forgot. Podging the power button does nothing, the thing is completely dead. Can I risk taking the battery out whilst it's still trying to start or do you have any other suggestions?

Kev

I quite often rip the battery out of mine when I lose my rag with it booting. Crack on, can't hurt as it won't boot anyway ....

Have you held the power button down for a few seconds as this normally forces a shutdown.

I held the button down a bit longer and surprise surprise it shut down. I restarted it and all is fine (until I do something else to it next time). Thanks for the help.

Kev

Kev, if you hold the power button or 4 seconds it initiates power off in the BIOS of the computer, the OS (windows) can do nothing about it. If the machine is hung to that extent then a 4 sec press is pretty much your only option, I've done it on countless laptops, desktops and a few 6 figure servers and never had a problem.

Kev - What was you doing with zone alarm anyway???? It's crap IMO

So it's posting yeah? Can you get it to be able to press F12, or DEL (which ever it is on your machine) and then ask it to boot from HDD??

I remember my old rig doing something like that, but can't remember how i sorted it but give that a shot. Won't hurt

Tony

EDIT: ORR

You could stick your XP disk in there (if you have one) boot it up and see what it says

Back