Laptop query - style/substance

Name
Meeten
Edit My Images
No
Not actively looking for a new laptop, but always keeping an eye out.
This caught my eye and based on the RRP, I have never seen it before.

With the new revised price, it looks appealing.
Not sure I want to move from an old MBP to this, but thought I@d ask if anyone has used this (or a similar).
Also, any tech geeks out there, is this a decent machine?

No space for a desktop.
Use for Lightroom and general day to day stuff.
Have a NAS for backup, so 512Gb is not a concern.

ummm, overpriced comes to mind.
reviews are lacklustre as well

I paid about £1100 for a refurb Dell XPS13 with an almost identical spec (slightly better CPU) just over a year ago. The Porsche won't be a bad laptop and superficially looks like a good deal because of the 33% discount but you are still paying for the name. It's always worth keeping an eye on Dell's outlet as the previous model XPS13s are well-priced when they pop up.

You can get core “m3” cpus that aren’t much slower in the surface pro.

It’s better value than the surface pro but when you consider you can get near identical product from Lenovo with current CPU generation for £800ish I would say your money is better spent elsewhere.

The thing most people forget is that LR base coding is the same now as it has been the last 4-5 years.
With that in mind, anything that ran it well then will also run it well now. The same argument can be applied to cameras... If the Fuji XT1 was good enough then, is the XT2 really required and by that logic is the XT3 required over an XT2?

By all means get the latest hardware where possible however a current i5 2/4 is just as fast, if not faster than the equivalent last gen i7 2/4. The onboard GPU however is likely to be a little better on the i5 as that’s where the greater performance advantages arise.

As an example comparing an m3-7y30 to the i5-6100 even with a substantial base and turbo clock difference shows only around a 3-4% difference in performance which are a single generation apart.

A quick look at a “Yoga” which is very similar shows you can get i5 with 8GB of ram and 256gb SSD for about £480. Conventionally buying the extra storage and ram doesn’t cost another £480 so that Porsche laptop “thing” isn’t really worth it especially with the last gen hardware.

Exactly. Look at how slim an XPS13 is - there isn't even room for sockets for the RAM. But the XPS15 has room for GTX1050Ti and the chunkier Alienware 15 has a GTX 1060.

Back