1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. holty

holty

Edit My Images:
    No
    after putting my 2011 MacBook Pro 17 into pc world / currys for a repair came back today saying unable to repair due to no spare parts available
    so i phoned apple store technical help i gave them my laptop seriel number and they confirmed no spares for my laptop its only 6yr old and cost 3600 gbp
    i am utterly pig sick about no parts from apple
    can someone recommend a good windows laptop as i can't see me buying apple again
    rant now finished

used mainly for photo editing and surfing the net

2. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
  3. andyscott

andyscott

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think any company would repair a 6 year old laptop.

A top of the range gaming laptop 6years old would have cost as much and you would be in the same scenario.

4. neil_g

neil_g

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
  5. holty

holty

Edit My Images:
    No
    you can turn it on , and you get the page with the apple on it but then it goes to a blue screens also the fan comes on :banghead::banghead::banghead:

6. neil_g

neil_g

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    So what parts did they say needed replacing?

7. steveb

steveb

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Your MBP must be an early 2011 model. Apple discontinued support for them on the 31st December 2016. There was a repair extension covering the GPU issue and logic board replacement relating to the fault you described, but that also unfortunately ended on the 31st December.

8. andyscott

andyscott

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Blue folder?

9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I use a Dell XPS15 and it's excellent, not cheap but worth the investment. Mine is the 2014 model.
    I7 processor , 512MB SSD, 16GB RAM, 3200 x 1800 resolution. Excellent build quality and performance.
    The current ones have a 4K display option and have customisable options when ordering.

10. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Dell XPS 9530 or the more recent 9550 version. Mine is like Paul's, except that it originally came with 1TB HDD + 32GB cache & I swapped them to 256GB msata and 1TB SSD. The current one like Pauls, but with 4K screen, is around £1100 from the Dell Outlet right now (about £20 premium for W10pro over W10 home).

11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Dell Outlet is excellent value, I just looked and as you say the XPS15 9550 (with 6th Generation I7 processor) is £1100, if you buy the latest model (9650) from Dell with the 7th Gen I7 it's £1800.