laptop recommendations

Edit My Images
No
after putting my 2011 MacBook Pro 17 into pc world / currys for a repair came back today saying unable to repair due to no spare parts available
so i phoned apple store technical help i gave them my laptop seriel number and they confirmed no spares for my laptop its only 6yr old and cost 3600 gbp
i am utterly pig sick about no parts from apple
can someone recommend a good windows laptop as i can't see me buying apple again
rant now finished

used mainly for photo editing and surfing the net

after putting my 2011 MacBook Pro 17 into pc world / currys for a repair came back today saying unable to repair due to no spare parts available
so i phoned apple store technical help i gave them my laptop seriel number and they confirmed no spares for my laptop its only 6yr old and cost 3600 gbp
can someone recommend a good windows laptop as i can't see me buying apple again
rant now finished

I don't think any company would repair a 6 year old laptop.

A top of the range gaming laptop 6years old would have cost as much and you would be in the same scenario.

you can turn it on , and you get the page with the apple on it but then it goes to a blue screens also the fan comes on :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Your MBP must be an early 2011 model. Apple discontinued support for them on the 31st December 2016. There was a repair extension covering the GPU issue and logic board replacement relating to the fault you described, but that also unfortunately ended on the 31st December.

rant now finished

I use a Dell XPS15 and it's excellent, not cheap but worth the investment. Mine is the 2014 model.
I7 processor , 512MB SSD, 16GB RAM, 3200 x 1800 resolution. Excellent build quality and performance.
The current ones have a 4K display option and have customisable options when ordering.

Dell XPS 9530 or the more recent 9550 version. Mine is like Paul's, except that it originally came with 1TB HDD + 32GB cache & I swapped them to 256GB msata and 1TB SSD. The current one like Pauls, but with 4K screen, is around £1100 from the Dell Outlet right now (about £20 premium for W10pro over W10 home).

Dell XPS 9530 or the more recent 9550 version. Mine is like Paul's, except that it originally came with 1TB HDD + 32GB cache & I swapped them to 256GB msata and 1TB SSD. The current one like Pauls, but with 4K screen, is around £1100 from the Dell Outlet right now (about £20 premium for W10pro over W10 home).

The Dell Outlet is excellent value, I just looked and as you say the XPS15 9550 (with 6th Generation I7 processor) is £1100, if you buy the latest model (9650) from Dell with the 7th Gen I7 it's £1800.

Whilst its undeniably frustrating, I'm not sure how many Windows laptops would stock replacement motherboards for a 2011 specification machine, and you could just as easily be cursing HP, Dell, Lenovo and considering switching to Apple.

You've got 6 years out of your laptop, that's pretty good for a portable machine.

Apple has always supported hardware for up to 5 years in most of the world (it's longer in Turkey and California by law). Anything older than this is considered obsolete and Authorised Apple Service Providers will not touch them.
There are several non-authorised providers who will, for example Mac Upgrades (macupgrades.co.uk). The question you should be asking is if the repair is worth the cost compared to purchasing a new machine.

Suppose it all depends if your comfortable with Windows coming from a MAC, I have both the top of the line 15inch Mac Pro with touchbar and dedicated Graphics and also the Asus ZenBook pro 501 4k screen personally and even though I've used and consulted on Microsoft platforms for over 25 years I do prefer the MAC for photography editing etc, the new MAC although expensive is a thing of beauty 10 hr battery pretty fast, and plays all my games world of tanks Warcraft etc, thing also about a MAC you can just close it to sleep and it just works, Windows no matter how good it is will eventually go nuts and want a restart, or won't come back on...

Also the res on the Mac just works well in Photoshop, Windows scales well with a 4k screen but doesn't really offer you anymore real estate to work with just crisper icons. I think personally 5 years out of laptop is good, and if you've had trouble free operation up until your current upset then thats pretty damn good. I always look to refresh every 4 to 5 years just as my clients do hardware refreshes every 3 years or so, you gotta move with the times, everything comes to an end in time.

FYI I got the top of the range MacBook Pro 15incher with the 455 ATI cards and 512 SSD for 1900 from a guy I know on EBAY, they retail at around 2600 2700, a lot more than the Dell XPS or Zenbook with set you back..if you want his details nudge me ok.

Another vote for Dell outlet and if you know anyone with a NUS card can get 15% off.

My Thinkpad and Dell Precision are still ticking on, at 10yrs old my T400 has performed admirably and wouldn't think twice about getting another T-Series or Precision. They are not built for beauty for a reliable and solid works platform they are near-perfect.

Back