Laptop showing error when printing.

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Having problems with laptop printing to my Epson SC-P800. Running Windows 10 and when I try to print throws up error message. Think this may have something to do with Creator update as it was fine before. Have uninstalled and reinstalled printer software and driver. Works OK on desktop PC also running Windows 10 Creator. Driving me crazy. Don't really want to reinstall windows as would have to reinstall software as well.

Last edited:
Having problems with laptop printing to my Epson SC-P800. Running Windows 10 and when I try to print throws up error message. Think this may have something to do with Creator update as it was fine before. Have uninstalled and reinstalled printer software and driver. Works OK on desktop PC also running Windows 10 Creator. Driving me crazy. Don't really want to reinstall windows as would have to reinstall software as well.

It would help if you took a screen grab of the error message and inserted in a post,.......or a the very least wrote down the exact wording including any error codes it shows?

Without knowing what the error dialogue says no one can advise ;)

Last edited:
Check Epson support site for an updated driver.

Hi Harry

As you have tried all relevent updates is it always the same error?

I asked above if you could post the full details of the error message/dialogue box as without the details any suggested answers will be nothing but guesswork and crystal ball gazing ;)

You need to post more details as already requested as I had a problem printing after the creator upgrade too. Also an Epson printer but not the same one as yours. I also reinstalled it and now it's fine if I do a restart (ie shut the laptop down completely instead of the default shutdown which isn't a complete shutdown). I could reset the laptop so it shuts down completely by default, but as my desktop pc (still running XP) has no problem and my laptop connects fine via usb, I haven't done any more. I just have to take the laptop to the printer, but since I have to go into the study to turn the printer on and collect the print anyway......
But of course your problem may not be the same as my problem.

It would help if you took a screen grab of the error message and inserted in a post,.......or a the very least wrote down the exact wording including any error codes it shows?

Without knowing what the error dialogue says no one can advise ;)
All I get is "Error when printing to Epson SC-P800" , no code or anything else. Still the same when connected directly to printer and not over network.

All I get is "Error when printing to Epson SC-P800" , no code or anything else. Still the same when connected directly to printer and not over network.

Hmmm! Two thoughts occur to me

1) that it is still some sort of driver failure but clearly, so far, an irresolvable one!

Do Epson offer a driver cleanup program to remove possible 'residues' affecting the driver update.

2) though as you say it started after the recent windows update perhaps it is a coincidental failure of the printer. Have you access to another PC to try the printer with?

Can you check in properties that the printer is associated with the relevent printer vport

Also, do you have multiple versions of the printer showing as installed.......and the 'wrong' one is set as default printer??? In which case go through each one and try a test print. Hopefully one will work and you can delete the others!

Last edited:
Hmmm! Two thoughts occur to me

1) that it is still some sort of driver failure but clearly, so far, an irresolvable one!

Do Epson offer a driver cleanup program to remove possible 'residues' affecting the driver update.

2) though as you say it started after the recent windows update perhaps it is a coincidental failure of the printer. Have you access to another PC to try the printer with?

Can you check in properties that the printer is associated with the relevent printer vport

Also, do you have multiple versions of the printer showing as installed.......and the 'wrong' one is set as default printer??? In which case go through each one and try a test print. Hopefully one will work and you can delete the others!
Prints fine from my desktop running same version of windows. Deleted and reinstalled printer. Only the one is showing so not multiple copies. Was not an Epson update but windows 10 Creator. Just have to move stuff to desktop to print now. Also prints fine from my son's Airbook.

Yes it seems the creator's update has caused printer problems for some computers. I found other people reporting the same problem as I have. Fortunately, unlike Harry, I can connect via cable. I don't print much from the laptop but I was also having to transfer files before I found a cable. Fortunately, too, my desktop will never have the same problem. Hopefully MS will sort it, and soon. I think it's an inherent problem with rolling out these huge updates, trying to do too much all at once. The minor updates have never caused a single glitch.

Could you do an operating system restore, ie roll back to the previous update, just a thought.

Could you do an operating system restore, ie roll back to the previous update, just a thought.
Have left it for the moment as I can use the desktop. Would have to take the creator update off the laptop but can print using same windows version on desktop. Will wait for update to see if it cures problem.

After all the Win 10 updates recently thought I would give it another try. Lo and behold all working again.

Glad it's sorted.

Back