Laptop 'vs' desktop

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
By brother has just bought a Haswell i7 laptop with 8GB of ram and a ssd/hd disk setup. Pretty top of the line stuff.

I run lightroom a lot and really like the idea of moving away from my desktop.

So last weekend we ran a set of tests on the same set of images. In each case my desktop was faster sometime by a factor of 2.

Now my desktop is 'only' an i5 with 8Gb and a SSD system drive.

So in theory the laptop should have smoked it.

Any ideas why ? Are laptop chipsets still slower than desktop equivalents like they always were ?

Bottlenecking, chipsets and heat are some of the major factors with this type of scenario ;)

This is kind of what I was expecting. But I was surprised that a more modern CPU and chipset was so much slower. Exporting raw images from my 5d3 the laptop was twice as slow as the desktop. Really surprising....

Desktop and Mobile Intel chips are not equal, desktop ones can ramp up peak performance a fair chunk higher.

Laptop SSDs are frequently cheaper parts rather than the usual 500/500+ desktop drives.

Indeed. Not all i7 mobile chips are quad core and some i5 desktop chips are quad core. Depends which model numbers the processors are as to which would be faster.

Depends on the tests you did too. Lightroom is more disk and CPU reliant whereas Photoshop thrives on memory.

was the laptop connected to mains power at the time or on battery

Laptop was on mains. my i5 is quad-core, the i7 was octo-core.

The only thing I can think of is the memory bandwidth/disk bandwidth. But I thought those were exactly the things that had improved on laptop chipsets....

Haswell i7 is quad core, hypertheaded. Going to depend on what was being done and which exact chip it is as this determines Max turbo frequency. The i7 laptop processors are generally clocked quite low to minimise heat and maximise battery.

the laptop was twice as slow as the desktop. Really surprising....
I'm not surprised, I keep telling this to my mates and work colleagues who think their i7 laptop is the same power as a desktop.
I would like to see the same test run with similar spec desktop and a imac, which after all it is just a pretty box with laptop bits inside (except hdd).

IMac has a desktop cpu.

Haswell i7 is quad core, hypertheaded. Going to depend on what was being done and which exact chip it is as this determines Max turbo frequency. The i7 laptop processors are generally clocked quite low to minimise heat and maximise battery.
That's what I thought. So the app may not have been optimised for hyper threading.

Not a question of hyperthreading - you either multi thread or you don't... Just depends if the processor can be utilised fully. I'd put money on clock frequency being the biggest contributor...

PS... You can get dual core i7s - the 4600M and anything with a U or Y designation. It's only the QM designated laptop processors that are quad core...

Back