laptop

There must be a hundred of different laptops out there, so many different models, so many different options, but it would be helpful if you could give a few more ideas of what sort, so to narrow it down, after all it will be your laptop, so it got to be how you like to use it.

For example:

First of all, are you thinking of Apple laptops or Windows-based laptops?

If it's Windows based laptops, are you thinking of just the standard laptop or one of those sort where the lid can come off and becomes a table?

Do you want a laptop or Netbook? Laptop tend to be proper laptop and big enough to have a built-in CD/DVD drive and in most cases have number pad, while Netbook on the other hand, tend to be like a scale down version of laptop, no room for built-in CD/DVD drive.

When it comes to laptops, your best bet is to buy yourself a refurbished business grade machine. Designed to be thrown into the boot of a Mondeo repeatedly without failing.

Consumer grade laptops are designed to grind to a halt and fail.

Example:
I own 2 IBM T41 laptops (one runs my home web/http/ftp server), new price would have been £1600, they're made with top quality parts, fast memory, water resistant keyboard and are reinforced with titanium alloy. I paid £120-£180 each for them (in 2008) and they're still going strong nearly 10 years after they were first sold (2003-2005).

In that same year a similar spec consumer grade machine would cost you £700, it'd fail apart within a few years and would be absolutely full to the brim with manufacturer bloatware to slow it down and make sure you had to buy a new one a year or so later.

My advice is it see what refurbished business grade machines you can find.

Last edited:
Back