Large Ants Roarrrr

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
lol well not really but it does have the angry face and if you use your imagination (I do) its looks like its doing a big lion ROARRRR
I live in the South of France and anyone that has had a holiday iin a warm climate may have seen Ants like this.
The techy name is "Camponotus vagus" and this one stopped to pick up a dead comrade that had been stood on by one of my 2 year old Nephews.
ROARRR (1 of 1).JPG
Thanks for looking, this and many other shots are available to view on my flickr (follow the link)

Last edited:
Ah brilliant! You did very well to get so low on an ant, always a challenge, especially as they move around so fast.

Did you see any others around it? I found some ginormous (to my mind anyway) Harvester ants on the south cost of Spain, and the soldiers were readily distinguishable from the workers by their much larger heads and jaws.

Ah brilliant! You did very well to get so low on an ant, always a challenge, especially as they move around so fast.

Did you see any others around it? I found some ginormous (to my mind anyway) Harvester ants on the south cost of Spain, and the soldiers were readily distinguishable from the workers by their much larger heads and jaws.
Thanks Tim, haha I was laying on the ground and as this ant was looking around its dead comrade it stayed still long enough for me to knock off a few shots.
These Ants travel between the 2 nests and pass across the Terrace so always lots to be seen.
At a guess i`d say the larger ones you see are the same sp as I stated above.
Heres a pic of the 2

Tending to the dead (1 of 1).JPG

Last edited:
Very well done! I tried photographing ants, but it's pretty much impossible without focus stacking or cropping heavily.

Superb Graham really good low angle
Brilliant pose on him to with the jaws open

Very well done! I tried photographing ants, but it's pretty much impossible without focus stacking or cropping heavily.
Haha cheers, no stacking from me (someone else does it for me) lol
As stated above, these are big ants, not like you're UK ones.

Superb Graham really good low angle
Brilliant pose on him to with the jaws open
Cheers Pete,
Not sure if I frightened the ant or not but yes a great gob shot lol

Fantastic - I especially like the one of the two together - great storytelling.
Thanks Emma,
I tell it like it is.
I do wonder what they do with the injured or dead once they get back to the nest.

Back