Large Camera Bags-Cases - Recommendations?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all...

This place always seems to be helpful beyond the word help hehe so goona ask you another question

I'm looking for a bag/case that will hold the bodies of 2x DSLR's with lenses/hood attached. Lenses are Nikon 17-55 2.8 and Nikon 10.5mm 2.8. Also have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 but for the work I capture the lens isn't used as much but would nice to carry the beloved in the same bag! Along with this I'm looking to carry my 17" Macbook Pro!

Its probably goona be difficult to find something to suit? Never really a fan of interchanging lenses, so would ideally like to keep them on the bodies all the time...

Thanks if you can help...

Ed :)

Ed,

I've got a Lowepro Commercial AW...that would take all your bits ready assembled. I've also got a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 550AW that would also get the stuff in....a little tighter though.

Bob

I've got a tamrac cyberpack 8, should do what you're asking easily :)

Ed,

I've got a Lowepro Commercial AW...that would take all your bits ready assembled. I've also got a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 550AW that would also get the stuff in....a little tighter though.

Bob

Thanks for the response,

Will that include my laptop 17" Macbook as well? A glimpse at the lowepro site and it doesn't mention anything bout it holding a laptop? You'd be able to answer that though, owning that bag...

Ta for that dod, will go check that out! Awesome...

I use a Billingham for carry around - and a Peli1600 to carry all my gear.

I am using the Lowepro Vertex 200 backpack. Will hold the gear that you mentioned as well as your laptop. Excellent quality and really comfortable.

Chris :)

Thanks for the response.....
Will that include my laptop 17" Macbook as well? A glimpse at the lowepro site and it doesn't mention anything bout it holding a laptop? You'd be able to answer that though, owning that bag...
I'm away at the moment (7-12 or so) but I'll measure up when I get back.

Bob

Hi,
I have a B&W bag http://www.roofbox.co.uk/protective-waterproof-cases-home.html then click on the B&W link part way down the page
but I have no idea if you would get a 17" laptop in it. I can get my 15" but I cannot carry it when it has the laptop and all the camera equipment :crying:

I like this bag because it can be used either as a rucksack or carried over one shoulder on a shaped, padded strap. The other day I had in it, external flash, small handbag, two camera bodies with 24-70 and 70-200 with extender, monopod tucked in the front, another small lens and assorted bits and pieces with room for more if packed carefully. I was not using the rigid white box (this makes a brilliant seat or step if required) as it makes it just that bit too heavy for me at present.

Another vote for the Lowepro Commercial AW.

Be warned buy a big bag and you just buy more stuff to fill it up.

I have a Lowepro Magnum AW...I love it :love:
Suggestion...Wait until next month & visit the "Focus on Imaging 2008 Show" at the NEC Birmingham. If you don't see a bag at the show for your needs, I don't know where else to point you :thinking:
Meantime this link might help you http://www.cambags.com/
Regards

I have a Lowepro Magnum AW...I love it :love:
Suggestion...Wait until next month & visit the "Focus on Imaging 2008 Show" at the NEC Birmingham. If you don't see a bag at the show for your needs, I don't know where else to point you :thinking:
Meantime this link might help you http://www.cambags.com/
Regards

Good on ya, I think I know someone who gets free tickets every year, may try n blag one cos I really want to go!

Thanks again for all ya help, keep those suggestions coming in its much appreciated.

Ed,

I have the Lowepro Stealth 650AW which will hold all you list including the laptop. Be warned though, once you've filled it you shoulder knows about it!

I was in Calumet (liverpool) earlier today and they had a bag in their sale that would meet all your requirements and had a compartment for a 17'' laptop inside that could also be accessed from the outside. The make was Tenba and the price was £51.38 in the sale. I thought it was a Lowepro Stealth 650 when I was looking at it as the build and quality were superb. It also had an AW cover as well as many compartments and pockets. I actually compared the two in the shop and in my opinion the Tenba was the better bag!

I didn't know a great deal about these bags until I saw this and spoke to the fellas in Calumet. But I was very impressed. The model Number was Tenba D17c.

Hope this helps.

Chris :)

^ There's a Tenba D17c on ebay.
This is the item # 180200780236

Peli hard cases are ok, we use them all the time at work BUT they don't hold a lot if you want to ensure every piece of kit is protected they are limited, they hold kit secure and watertight at that they are probably the best out there BUT if you want to carry a lot of kit you'll struggle to better a rucksack, maybe from Lowepro.

We use 18 peli cases regularly for moving kit and they are not indestructable, we have five awaiting pick up and repair and this happens regularly, they are great if your the one doing the transporting of your kit but if it's anyone else then expect damage to occur:thumbsdown:

If you don't have lot of kit maybe they are ok for you, if you only take some of your kit maybe they are ok for you, but they are heavy and cumbersome

Another vote for Lowepro, I currently have a few of them, the biggest being the Nova 5 AW 7 the one i use the most the Nova 3 its not big enough to take all your kit but Lowepro make awesome bags, i really feel that my gear is safe at all times.

Other than that, id say Crumpler Daily XXL or even XXXL. Pricy but you get what you pay for..

(y)

I want a peli but havent got the 200 quid. I want the one on wheels that I can also use as a seat at pitchside. saves on carrying a lowpro and a seat :)

If anyone selling one?

Thats exactly what we use, 1600's and larger, but to be honest they are just not durable despite the advertising blurbage, I know the NHU at Bristol use them extensivly for expeditions and I have used them myself when in the Army for long haul outings, personally I'd use them as an outer to put my Ruksack in, and indeed thats how some of the NHU kit is transported ;)

I have major reservations about recommending them, as I said earlier theyre fine if your the one who owns it and moves it, they'll last years given the right treatment, given the wrong tretament by a third party handler they'll get quite easily damaged, wheels come off, catches break and the flip up handles are always breaking off and leaving quite dangerous sharp protrusions :shrug:

I want a peli but havent got the 200 quid. I want the one on wheels that I can also use as a seat at pitchside. saves on carrying a lowpro and a seat :)

If anyone selling one?

Hmm.. it would be me using it... The bags getting a bit heavy to lump about and stools get lost or broke.. My large lowepro bag is starting to show wear and tear.. had it years.. I thought wheels and hard case to be the answer. I know other sports togs swear by them. Does seem to be the answer.. under those conditions would you say usable?

If your the one doing the moving and it's solely you then yes, they're fine but introduce a thrid party and be prepared for a damaged Pelicase, I believe it's partly down to their own reputation, you tell someone it's unbreakable and they have to see what it will stand up to:nono:

After years of experience with these I can assure you they are not unbreakable and we regularly send ours back for fixing, they are good at warranty returns but it's still a pain having your Peli away just when you know someone is going to give you an assignment that needs a Peli.

I thoroughly recommend the use of a Peli to put your ruksack in and protect your kit by a hardcase, but again make sure it's you who doing the transportation, also make sure you inspect the seals regularly, these have a habit of coming into contact with the wrong part of the lid when closing and become crushed and this prevents the waterproof seal that many find a "must Have reason" for buying in the first place ;)

Hmm.. it would be me using it... The bags getting a bit heavy to lump about and stools get lost or broke.. My large lowepro bag is starting to show wear and tear.. had it years.. I thought wheels and hard case to be the answer. I know other sports togs swear by them. Does seem to be the answer.. under those conditions would you say usable?

I reviewed the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration here

Due to being "square" and deep it holds a lot of stuff. I also use a ThinkTank Airport Ultralight with a Peli 1510 rolling case for stuff when I don't need the long lens with me. I don't have a review written yet but I plan to do one. I prefer this approach as, if the Peli gets damaged, there is another bag inside to hold the kit together. I've used this solution as check in luggage and it's been fine.

Paul

Cheers Agger.. its at the top of my want list due to reasons I mentioned.. Theres no better advice than from someone who has day to day use of them...ta :)

Thank god for that, I ordered the largest Crumpler Daily a couple of days ago (XXL) in dog-knob red, and would have kicked myself if I'd missed a larger one.

You gotta love the American version of the product names too, they're a right giggle.

i've got 9 Peili's, use one for my camera gear, lenses, etc. it's huge with room to spare (have 6 lenses, body, filters, hoods, straps, accessories, grips, batteries, etc. all inside) I got the storage zipper pouch flap which hooks inside the top of the case, great extra piece for putting small bits like remotes, filters, etc. Paid extra for the foam fit-out and rippled foam to go on the top for extra security. I use the rest for my flash heads. I love their quality and robust feel, but they are VERY heavy. You wouldn't want to have to carry one for a long period of time, or at least get them on wheels...but very, very pricy. I just don't like the idea of a soft case for anything. I think www.waterproof-cases.co.uk are best buys.

Anyone know of a retailer in London where one can try out the various packs mentioned above?

I've been looking to buy one, but would really like to try it on and see the build myself.

i picked my mini trekker from ebay secound hand, but you couldnt tell.
for only £55 , and jessops sell it for £110.

its hold ALL the following gear, including tripod and mono pod ( except boxes of course)

DSCF4254copy1.jpg

Back