Large Format 4x5?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking about getting a large format, something like a Speed Graphic or Cambo SC but these are quite expensive is there anything cheaper around?

I understand I can only take one picture at a time, but can I develop them in a normal dev. tank (b&w) and how much does it cost to get a colour negative done?

As for scanning, is there a way to scan the negs on my Epson V500?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any advice :geek:

You could go for an MPP you should be able to pick one up for a couple of hundred quid or a little more it depends on what type of movements you want. That type of field camera is easy to get about /set up.

the pro lab I use stopped processing colour neg but do a sheet in E6 for just under £4 . Personally I'd rather use slide for large format stuff

Be wary of the MPP. Lens panels can be hard to come by, especially as they changed the design of them 4 or 5 times! what is your budget for the camera etc?

Plenty of older cheap lenses about, but get the shutter CLA'd at Black and White in Bristol. It will cost about £50 but at least you will be able to rely on the exposures.

I process my b&w at home in a jessops 2x35mm tank. If you use a hairband or small elastic band, you can roll the sheets into a taco shape, emulsion side in, and fit about 4 in a tank at a time. The only downside is you need a litre chems to cover the film completely. I use rodinal diluted 1:100 so its no so much of an issue for me.

Peak charge £2.50 per colour/e6 sheet for Dev. Although, if you send more than 20 sheets off at a time, you get a 20% discount so that brings it down to £.200 per sheet.

Bonus.

What type of stuff are intending to shoot btw?

Ok, mainly landscape and a few portraits but my budget wouldn't go over £250. Is there anything for that much or would I need to go higher?

Thanks for the advice.

You might be lucky and pick up a mono-rail from flea-bay for that much. Might be worth saving a bit more and seeing if you can afford something a little better. I'm sure somebody on here had an MPP for sale with some lensboards though.

£250 for a 5x4????? Sinar and Toyo 2nd hand are coming in at £3k to £4k for full kit.

you might get the packaging for £250 and little else. you really need to look at renting. the only way you will get anything for that budget will if some is giving up or it was found in an attic.......

Take a look at this guy on ebay to get an idea...

http://photography.shop.ebay.co.uk/...ion=Used&_dmpt=UK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET

I paid under a grand for a nearly new Wista field camera, 2 lenses, 6 darkslides, light meter, 2 lens plates. There are bargains to be had out there. You just have to look. Have a gander at the UKLF forum and the largeformatphotography forum. They both have for sale sections, although the latter you need to be registered for 30 days to use it.

There is a Speed Graphic on sale there for $200 at the moment with a lens, so about £150!

There are bargains to be had like the Speed Graphic Gandhi mentions. They do seem to sell for considerably more in the UK than they do in the US though so if you can find a US seller who will ship, that could be the way to get a bargain.

The same is true of 5x4 enlargers too. They are practically being given away in the US but command a premium price here - which is why I don't have one yet!

Steve.

Back