Large Format Advice Needed!

Edit My Images
No
I'm hoping to pick peoples' brains about tripods and lenses, apologies if it's been done before!

Firstly I'm looking for a tripod that is sturdy enough to take a monorail - I have looked at the Manfrotto 058 which is a beast (but solid) but I was wondering if anyone had used the 055 with much success? I'm very open to other brands but I'm quite ignorant to tripods! My main issue is that I am taking the monorail out and about with me (yes, there's the Field Camera can of worms...!) so I'd like the tripod to be semi-portable.

Secodly the lens - My first love is Landscape photography and it's been suggested that I ideally need a 90mm with bag bellows but that's not really in the budget so I have been offered a Linhof 150/265 convertible lens - does anyone have one or has had one and could comment on image quality?

Many thanks - any help appreciated muchly :)

I have used a 058 with a Wista 5x4 field camera for the last 10 years and it has never let me down. It is heavy but you get used to it and have climbed at least 8 3000 foot peaks with it and survived. I combine it with a ball and socket head (268).

The convertible lens was made by schneider for linhof and I believe that production of these lenses was stopped in the early 1970's. There were two versions one single and one multicoated.

You will need to check the shutter primarily as this would be expensive to replace if faulty. I think they came in a copal 1 shutter.

Quality of this lens will be compromised compared with a non convertible however this is relative to the format and assuming images no larger than 20x16 inches you may find it difficult to distinguish one from the other. Of more importance is its coverage and you should try and find out what image circle it produces as this will determine the amount of movement/correction available.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy the format should you decide to give it a go.

I used a Horsman LX for years for architectural work. I used the beast of a Manfrotto and don't really think you'd get away with anything smaller.

The bad bellows is probably what you're looking (although you shouldn't rule out longer lenses) for and a 90mm will be ideal. I have 3 lenses and they all got the fair share of use although I suppose the 90mm was the one that had the most use. I have a rail extension and you can not imagine the quality of the macro shots the camera is capable of. Portraits are unbelivable.

The images were perfect from the camera and although it's a bit of a palava lugging a monorail about, there is something nice about it too. You get time to think about what you're doing (because at about £3 a sheet you have to think). Worth the effort and worth every penny.

Although I hardly use my 5x4 kit these days I loved it and you have made me think about taking it on an outing this weekend.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

You have summed it up well Badger. The inconvenience of it all can make the final results all the more satisfying.

Apart from the 90mm what were your other lenses? (I assume one was a 150mm and 3rd possibly a 240mm)

I have spent 20 odd years with just a 90mm and a 150mm and would have loved a 240mm.

You have summed it up well Badger. The inconvenience of it all can make the final results all the more satisfying.

Apart from the 90mm what were your other lenses? (I assume one was a 150mm and 3rd possibly a 240mm)

I have spent 20 odd years with just a 90mm and a 150mm and would have loved a 240mm.

Yes, its a Schneider 5.6/240. A huge lens. This thread has made me go and get the kit out to have a look at it. It's still gorgeous! :)

The 058 is sturdy enough to build a house on, but it'd definitely a boot of the car jobber, damned thing weighs a ton.

But once it's levelled and tightened up there ain't nothing going to budge it.

Hey, thanks for all the input! I love using the 5x4 - very excited at the prospect of owning one! I have one question about the 058 - the one which I have been offered has a fair amount of movement even when I lock it as tight as I can - the head is the 029 - I know that these are very simple silly questions but need to pin down a tripod :D

Anima Templi I cannot believe that you have scaled peaks with the manfrotto - much respect!

Would love to see everyones 5x4 shots some time!

I have one question about the 058 - the one which I have been offered has a fair amount of movement even when I lock it as tight as I can - the head is the 029 -

I'd give it a swerve I think. Mine is as solid as a solid thing in Solid Land and I've had it for probably 15 years. It all sounds a bit strange to me and might cost a packet to sort out, it it can be sorted out that is.

Badger UK

Back