Large format for landsacpes - yes or no ?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D300 with various lenses, but I'm considering moving to 5 x 4 or even 5 x 7 (film) for landscapes. I'd be interested in the experiences of anyone who has taken this route. I'd keep the Nikon for "everything else".

If there's anyone in North Wales who would show me the ropes on LF that would be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath !

Thanks

Patrick

Joe Cornish uses LF film, but you probably have to be at that level to benefit from it. The choice of lenses goes down, cost goes up (film + processing + kit), and it just take many times longer to get to the end result. Don't forget the kit weighs 10s kg including a mandatory monster tripod, so hiking with one could stretch your back slightly. Having said that there is more resolution in 5x7", and more dynamic range depending on your film choice. For comparison, good 16MP {from my 1DsII} file can very easily print at A2 and well beyond.

I have a D300 with various lenses, but I'm considering moving to 5 x 4 or even 5 x 7 (film) for landscapes. I'd be interested in the experiences of anyone who has taken this route. I'd keep the Nikon for "everything else".

As it's the more popular format, 5x4 has a wider range of films readily available and roll film holders are widely available allowing the use of 120 film in 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, and within limits 6x17. Make sure you get a camera with an international back if you go the 5x4 route.

Having said that 5x7 (or 5x8) cameras aren't that much harder to carry, and many films are available for import (which can be cheaper than sourcing in the UK).

If there's anyone in North Wales who would show me the ropes on LF that would be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath !

Ask in the Talk Film and Conventional forum on here, or in the UK Large Format Photography Forum -- the latter has meets every so often, and I think one or two are in your area.

Joe Cornish uses LF film, but you probably have to be at that level to benefit from it. The choice of lenses goes down, cost goes up (film + processing + kit), and it just take many times longer to get to the end result. Don't forget the kit weighs 10s kg including a mandatory monster tripod, so hiking with one could stretch your back slightly. Having said that there is more resolution in 5x7", and more dynamic range depending on your film choice. For comparison, good 16MP {from my 1DsII} file can very easily print at A2 and well beyond.

It's a very different way of working and certainly slows you down. The choice of lenses isn't a problem as any lens within the length range of your bellows will work; you're talking primes but you probably have as much, if not more choice than with the big two.

As for weight, they don't have to be heavy. A modern field camera such as a Shen Hao or Chamonix with 3-4 lenses and a few film holders will fit in a LowePro Mini-Trekker/ Pro Runner 300 and weighs surprisingly little -- probably less than many FF kits.

Last edited:
I'm experimenting with Medium Format for landscapes, might be a worthwhile stepping stone to see if you enjoy a film workflow, I've got a Mamiya 645AFD and it is a lot more like using a dslr than large format. It does make you concentrate a lot more, rather than rattling off a few frames and chimping you think a lot before you press the shutter.

Large Format is an amazing way of working if you accept its limitations. Long lenses end practically at about 300mm for example, which on 5x4 is not very long at all, so if you regularly take long lens landscapes you might not be very happy.
They are pretty slow to set up as well, so it helps if you can previsualise the shot without having to look through a viewfinder. You are also restricted in the number of shots you can effectively carry (think 8-10 for a whole days shooting, which includes bracketing), which can be a plus as a limiting factor, but also means you might experiment less. Travelling also becomes something of a logistical problem, but not one that can't be overcome
Weight wise I dont see that much difference between my 5x7 and 2 lens set up (wooden Deardorff with 90/5.6 and 210/5.6) and my 5dmk2 and 2 lens set up (16-35L and 24-70L). Some of the smaller, light weight 5x4 offerings I could see being lighter

The benefits are big though. Precise control of depth of field and focus (when you know what you're doing, but the learning curve is steep) allows for great creative control. Huge resolution is there if you want it of course, but of more practical use is the buttery smooth tonal graduation
You do have all the logistical problems of film of course, sending film to the lab and waiting for its return, plus scanning or darkroom printing if you're lucky

In the end it's very much a personal preference thing, the same as full frame vs crop, primes vs zooms and HDr vs grads. It is very rewarding though when everything goes right and you get your perfect tranies back in the post :D

Some very helpful replies, thanks. I'm thinking of starting out with B&W to learn how to use the camera so I can process my own films then scan the negs. If I buy S/H I shouldn't lose much money.

Back