Large moth (I think) id please

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, apologies for starting a new thread for something that will probably be very quick and easy to solve.
I spotted this moth (I think) in the garden this morning, it’s only taken on my phone camera as that’s all I had to hand at the time, I’m just wondering if someone could help tell me what it is please?
I’ve never seen one so big before.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 0DB60B7C-2370-4FB2-BABE-85B6445544EC.jpeg
    0DB60B7C-2370-4FB2-BABE-85B6445544EC.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 823E98B6-1DA4-465C-AC0E-5F5ED086B921.jpeg
    823E98B6-1DA4-465C-AC0E-5F5ED086B921.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 15
Crikey, he's a big lad.

I believe it's a Privet Hawkmoth. I'm no expert but I was trying to ID a moth myself a few weeks ago and this one caught my eye then too.

Crikey, he's a big lad.

I believe it's a Privet Hawkmoth. I'm no expert but I was trying to ID a moth myself a few weeks ago and this one caught my eye then too.
That’s great, thank you. I’ve had a google myself and it brought up a couple looking like him but I’ve never really tried to id them before. Will look into the privet hawk moth a bit more.

FWIW

On BBC Gardeners World last week they had a piece about moths and the lady in question showed amongst others a Privet Hawk Moth, caught for release in her light trap, and it is one large beautiful moth.

Unlike yours, its wings were open......it is big!

PS IIRC the piece was about half way through the program :thinking:

Last edited:
FWIW

On BBC Gardeners World last week they had a piece about moths and the lady in question showed amongst others a Privet Hawk Moth, caught for release in her light trap, and it is one large beautiful moth.

Unlike yours, its wings were open......it is big!

PS IIRC the piece was about half way through the program :thinking:
Thanks for the info. I will check out iplayer and try and catch that.

Back