Largest adobe mud building in the world: The Grand adobe mud Mosque of Djenne, Mali

Name
Phil Marion
Edit My Images
No
from wiki:
The Great Mosque of Djenné is a large banco or adobe building that is considered by many architects to be one of the greatest achievements of the Sudano-Sahelian architectural style. The mosque is located in the city of Djenné, Mali, on the flood plain of the Bani River. The first mosque on the site was built around the 13th century, but the current structure dates from 1907. As well as being the centre of the community of Djenné, it is one of the most famous landmarks in Africa. Along with the "Old Towns of Djenné" it was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988.

The Grand adobe mud Mosque of Djenne, Mali by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Adobe mud Grand Mosque of Djenne, Mali by Phil Marion, on Flickr

abobe mud Grand Mosque - Djenne, Mali by Phil Marion, on Flickr

guardian of the grand mud mosque of Djenne, Mali by Phil Marion, on Flickr

MORE such photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjtkU2ny

Fascinating building and nicely shot

The last two images particularly catch my eye, they would look great in black and white!!

Matt

Thanks - really good point...I really should convert more of my shots to B&W

FYI there are more shots of fascinating Djenne, Mali if you click HERE.

Last silhouette is good, shame about the bike. Looks a great place to go, how hard was it to get there?

Last silhouette is good, shame about the bike. Looks a great place to go, how hard was it to get there?

Internal transit is rather poor - old buses without air conditioning on hot tarmac in subSaharan temperatures - trips from hell.

Very nice set Phil

Back