Largest Print with a 500D

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys.

As a general rule of thumb, what do you think is the largest you can print for pictures taken with a Canon 500D (pictures in a RAW/large Jpeg format)?

I guess what I want is to blow some pictures up as much as I can, get them framed etc.

Any advice welcome.

p.s. i know that like most things it will depend on several factors such as what the image is, the file size etc etc. I just want to know as a general rule of thumb.

p.p.s. and any advice on paper types etc to get them printed onto would be great (it's just to stick on my wall, not to exhibit or anything).

Thanks for your help.

without any interpolation

at 360 dpi 13.2 x 8.8 inches
at 300dpi 15.84 x 10.56
at 180 dpi 26.4 x 17.6 inches ( I can't tell the difference between a 180 dpi vs 260 dpi with my epson R2400)

you'd be able to double the size with interpolation assuming the image is sharp and in focus.

paper is totally subjective - I have canvas, pearl and FB paper on my walls

I think the gadget show did an episode where they blew the shot up to 80 feet.

I guess that doesn't help you much though :)

I am really liking lustre effect paper myself at the moment. Seems a lot more forgiving than glossy.

it depends on how close you are going to get to the finished print. Your eyes have a finite resolution - and as a print gets bigger we tend to view it from further away than a small one - unless you are a sad geek and look at 60" prints with a loupe!

Now on the gadget show - the 80' print would of looked quite bad from 3 foot away - but from hundreds of feet away it would be no larger than a 10"x8" at arms length - so it would be as sharp!

Depends what you printer and media you use.

Some may say it doesn't make a difference but from my experience it certainly does.

I have a 500d and have printed some wallpaper
prints on my hp and they looked great.

Literally my whole wall was a landscape. :)

So go for it is my answer :)

Back