Laser light-painting

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
A transparent stapler and a cocktail glass, light painted with a green 5mw laser-pen. After a bit play about, I quickly discovered that transparent objects are much easier :)
Just have to watch for the laser hitting anything reflective!
Only a little PP to make the background cleaner.
I tried smoke but soon ran out of patience tonight, I've been up early :p
I'll come back to smoke later, though: I think it has potential.
As does getting a second red laser................?

Light Paint Laser 1 by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Light Paint Laser 2 by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agreed :) Very cool! I've not seen this with lasers before. Looking forward to see what you do with the smoke!

I'm back at work for the next four nights, so the downside is no time to play, the up-side is plenty of time to bounce ideas around in my head!
(Mounting a red and green laser offset from each other on a tripod column and cranking it up/down over a 20-30s exposure to catch the smoke etc!)
Whether or not I can make them work is part and parcel of the fun for me :)
Just to add more fun, I'll be going for a single exposure and no PP except clean up the odd stray beam on the background. Not because I'm a SOOC anal (I'm not) but just for the hell of it!

Last edited:
The second shot would look fantastic, if fully edited and you somehow managed to get a glow in the dark liquid for some sort of night club promotional material. Love the concept and result!

Thanks Nick :)

The second shot would look fantastic, if fully edited and you somehow managed to get a glow in the dark liquid for some sort of night club promotional material. Love the concept and result!
I've been racking my brains to think of a liquid that'll do the job. I know that decent Gin fluoresces slightly under UV.......... :)
Alternatively, I was thinking a small amount of very fine glitter suspended in gelatin or glycerine. Maybe even carbonated water, the bubbles might be interesting when the laser hits them.
Now if I can just combine all of this with a glacé cherry dropping in....in a single exposure....LOL.

I really like these, great idea, as for a fluorescent liquid why not break open some glow sticks?

Matt

Great results, might have to dig out my red laser somewhere and have a play. I always thought a laser would come out a bit spotty as the light is so directed but it works well with transparent objects.

Back