North England Last minute trip.. Holy Island

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Firt time anywhere in this area... had a couple of days wiht nothing in diary (very quiet for my work)

Next Tue, Wed & Thu.. Staying in travelodge Berwick at 80 quid a night... going to drive over the causeway so i can take more gear.. usually travel with pocket camera but for a place like this i need the gear i think.... 400mm on a full frame be long enough to get decent ?

Any tips?

PS I am not a landscape or bird photographer... But I am going to dabble for fun

Lovely spot :)

Holy Island (as I recall) isn't a place with birds on it, so 400mm for some landscapes of the ruin may be pushing it a bit

If you're also going out to the bird 'infested' islands nearby then 400mm should be plenty long enough for many flying etc. shots, but on the island itself you may find it too long. I went in the nesting season once and was shooting on my 11-16mm (DX) wideangle to get a whole Tern in when they were attacking lol

So by all means take the 400 but have a very wide option too and everything in between - just in case

And don't forget to try the local mead - its bloody horrible - but you have to try it, its the tradition :D

Enjoy :)

Dave

I aint much on landscape and i was generalising the area... i really am ill prepared.. last minute and no idea :) .. so linsifarne is the better for wildlife ?

oh and i do like mead.. had a bottle last week on my birthday :)

Trips to Outer Farnes will have stopped now so you only have the inner islands that you can land on. You can get a boat from Seahouses to do a trip round the outer islands - without stopping - then taking you to Holy Island and back - with a decent length stay. 400 will be far too long. If you are on the boat they will take you really close to the wildlife so 200 max will do. On Lindisfarne itself even that will be far too long.

Can't see you needing a 400mm TBH, mainly landscape, boating, boat-sheds etc unless you plan on birding, even then I found my 300 f4 PF to be as long as I needed on the Farne Islands.
You probably know but watch out for causeway tide times : http://orawww.northumberland.gov.uk/www2/holyisland/HolyIsland.asp?dt=0817

yeagh the missus printed that one out thanks Quite a big window really

The 400 is in the case along with 24-70 also on FF so bit of both.. mostly wildlife i think... wife will want a few lanscapes with her in the pic :)

haa right looking at map again.. can drive onto holy island but the wildlife mainly on lindifarne needing a boat trip... got to look into that then...ta

This is the guy. Billy Shiel. King in those parts! uses decommissioned fishing boats so luxury is somewhat lacking. But he can get right into the cliffs and bays on the outer islands, where you could never get to yourself. Worth going on.
http://www.farne-islands.com/

Cheers I will get my misus to have a proper look into the links.. would be nice to do without a boat to be honest ..sorry :)

haa right looking at map again.. can drive onto holy island but the wildlife mainly on lindifarne needing a boat trip... got to look into that then...ta
Lindesfsrne IS Holy Island! Plenty of birds there but not to the quantity you get on the smaller islands. If you have cake, the sparrows in town will happily sit on your hand to eat it.

off in the morning....4 hr ddrive... back late thursday so got most of tue.. all day wed and most of thur to explore.. travelodge in berwick 86 quid a night! yikes..

taking the one dslr with 70-200mm lens.. from what your all saying that will be long enough? i have the 400 but overkill? and lugging it into room at night etc...

going to drive over the causeway as its open 11.40 tue, 12.30 wed and 1.40 thursday until evening on all days so perfect timing.... when i get there then see how to get to the smaller bird island? generally going to play it by ear..

ta everyone :)

I aint much on landscape and i was generalising the area... i really am ill prepared.. last minute and no idea :) .. so linsifarne is the better for wildlife ?
Lindisfarne = Holy Island. It's an early Christian settlement, expect ruined monasteries and ancient crosses.

If you're after birds and seals, the other Farne Islands are better but a boat ride away.

Berwick has some huge Victorian infrastructure and is worth a wander.

Crater and Embleton are worth a visit.

Back