Last nights Moon 31/3/15

I can't help the position of the moon bud

When I get back home tonight I will put up original uncut version
It was at 500MM 1/250 f8 I think it was I could be wrong

Its sharp on the craters at the five and ten O'clock positions but the rest of it is way off.

Surely excess noise reduction would affect the whole image?

Very strange?

If it is a crop of the top image then the settings you use are what's causing the issue. No exif on the second image.

1600iso, 1/1000 shutter, f6.3

I generally use settings 100-400iso the lower the ISO the better.
Shutter speed 1/200 - 1/640 (looking back at mine tho I have gone upto about 1/800
Appature f/8-11
Always try to shoot on a tripod with any image stabilisation turned off.
Manual focus, which is the hardest part but if you have live view you can more often than not zoom in more on that and find the best focus.

Darren, IMHO, as Darren, (proud2btaff), says, with moon shots you always need to use a tripod and experiment with settings, plus also make sure it locks in on the focus ...... quite a lot of lens "hunt" in an out when taking moon shots .... so sometimes when you are near focus switch to manual focus to refine it

Last edited:
It's a strange one, has a strange effect all around the edge of the Moon (chromatic aberration?) and does seem to be largely OOF as said above but some of it seems to be in focus. What processing was done? The bit that is in focus looks over-sharpened to me. If using such a high ISO did you run some sort of noise reduction, that would explain it possibly.

Darren you will get half descent shots with limited equipment

I got the following with a small Nikon V1 and 300mm lens +TC20Elll

cropped of course

on a tripod - f8 - 1/100th sec ISO 400
processed a bit

just keep trying and take your time

Good luck

V1_moon.jpg

Last edited:
Back