Last nights sunset at Ullswater

Edit My Images
Yes
Taken last night just after sunset ( bloody cold ) at the well know Ullswater Boathouse near Pooley Bridge.
Some mist starting to rise in the dark shadow area of the boathouse.

Just got back a couple of hours ago and quickly worked this one in order to post something tonight.

Will work on it a bit more later but on first reflection I quite like it.

C&C welcome.

Ullswater-Boathouse.jpg

Cameron

oooh, now that's lovely!

Especially like the hint of mist on the water. It's either been all fog or clear blue here all day. No inbetween. bah.

woah, nice one, can't wait to see the finished version :thumb:

What they said.

How do you get so much DOF? the boathouse distance is the focus target but the foreground and distance are both still pretty good.

Thanks guys.

RobertP said:
How do you get so much DOF? the boathouse distance is the focus target but the foreground and distance are both still pretty good.

Not really such a large DOF since it was f8 but it was taken using a wide angle lens which obviously hepls the DOF.
I prefer to use the sweet spot of the lens if possible ( f8 in this case ) but wouldn't hesitate to go up to f22 or higher if necessary.
As always a tripod is a must.
The foreground reeds are not that sharp ( in the original shot ).
You're right, of course, the boathouse is the focal point.

Cameron

Lovely! Don't spoil it now. :nono:;)

LOL. That mist on the water is fantastic. I remember Steve doing a sunset (or was it sunrise?) pano of this shot, way back. It might be in his Gallery album I suppose?

CT said:
LOL. That mist on the water is fantastic. I remember Steve doing a sunset (or was it sunrise?) pano of this shot, way back. It might be in his Gallery album I suppose?

I didn't expect the mist, it came as a surprise.
I'm more used to seeing it in the morning.

I remember when shooting, thinking, " I hope this mist shows in the image". I liked the way the mist stayed in the shadows but not to the left of the frame. I didn't want to loose the reflection of the tree.

The next morning the mist was typical Lakeland.
Images to follow.

Cameron

thats lovely, i think its great as it is!

Its a great capture, I was up there earlier in the year and got up for a sunrise shot at Ullswater. Unlike you I chose a different subject though and concentrated my efforts on a small jetty and a different section of the lake. I was not as lucky with the weather as you though, I did get a couple of shots but not as nice as yours IMO.

Like CT says, be careful not to ruin it by playing to much, sometimes your initial instincts are right ;)

Bachs treatment makes the picture much colder and less inviting IMO. I love the subtle tones and added warmth that they bring in the original.

Just my 2p's worth. :)

Bachs said:
Oh I love this shot!

I hope you don't mind...I just couldn't resist the temptation of doing a bw conversion on it to get that mist:

http://www.steve-perks.com/gfx/forumposts/Ullswater-Boathouse.jpg

Say the word and I'll take it down :icon_eek:

I see what Steve means with the warmer tones of the colour version but I think you have something here in B&W.

Bachs said:
Say the word and I'll take it down
Not a problem.
Feel free to have a play with anything I post.
It's easier and more obvious to post a reworked image than to explain how it might work in another way.

I understand why you asked.
Some people don't like their images tampered with.
That's fine too. It's their image.

Cameron

Bachs said:
Oh I love this shot!

I hope you don't mind...I just couldn't resist the temptation of doing a bw conversion on it to get that mist:

http://www.steve-perks.com/gfx/forumposts/Ullswater-Boathouse.jpg

Say the word and I'll take it down :icon_eek:

Lovely - now all it needs is a naked Claire Park for it to be a John Swannell 'masterpiece' - lol

Actually a naked Claire Park would improve nearly every one of my images - ever.

Back