Last piece of the jigsaw - lenses!

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
NEED HELP!
So, am going for a D40 + 18-55kit lens. sorted.
Want a longer lens and have following options:
Sigma 18-200 HSM OS £291
Nikon 55-200 VR £126
Nikon 70-300 £280

Seeing that I am just starting out in this game and SWMBO has an aversion to spending lots. Which would be the best overall option for me?

Would like an all in 1 lens that can be used in many circumstances but am leaning towards the 55-200VR.

Help! must order tonight!

I would prob have the 70-300 but the problem that would leave you is the gap range between 55 and 70 while the 55-200 starts off where the kit lens ends but depending on what you shoot 200 might be too short.

The 18-200 is a more of a all in one lens but it will only be average at everything really.

Imgaine that most pics will be people and nature.
Two things that probably need totally different lenses. Am thinking that the most sensible option will be to go for the 55-200 as a low cost option while I discover how much we (wife and I) get into it all.

Got the Sigma in the shopping cart though!

My choice would be the 18 -200 OS. It is a superb little lens, and you'll find the 18mm wide angle end much more useful than the extra 100mm at the 'long' end. You can alwas crop if you want a closeup, but you may often find that you can't get the wide angle shot under any circumstances, except with a wide angle lens.

I would actually get rid of the kit lens, and use the money to buy something useful - a tripod??, a bag??

Keeping the kit lens and buying the 70-300 would leave you with a large heavier lens, and needing to carry a second lens for wide angle compositions, necessitating lens swaps which should be kept to a minimum on a DSLR because of the risk of dust getting on the sensor.

If you hunt around, I think you may find a Nikon 18-200 VR at a similar price to the Sigma, which is, in my considered opinion, abetter buy.

If you hunt around, I think you may find a Nikon 18-200 VR at a similar price to the Sigma, which is, in my considered opinion, abetter buy.

Considered it, but time has slipped by as need to get everything by end of the week.
Shall be going for the Sigma and hiding the receipt from SWMBO!

Plus - just found the Sigma for £270 delivered which aint too bad

Can't wait now!

The 55-200 VR is a good, cheap wee lens, which is designed to match up with your kit lens and would usually be my recommendation, but if you have the extra cash available then one of the longer options may be a better choice.

From a resale point of view, down the line when you want to upgrade, the Nikon glass will always be a better "investment".

Doug's idea of going for a Nikon 18-200 VR is a good one, although you'll be looking at nearer £400 for one, but you should be able to recoup about £50 selling your 18-55 kit lens which should help avoid too many objections from swmbo :LOL:

If you are in a hurry to spend then I'd say go for the 55-200 and then the most you're likely to lose if you decide to upgrade in the near future is 20 quid or so...

More choices and more good comments. Your common sense prevailed Flas***P. Went for the 55-200vr as a "try it and see" option. Looks like a decent lens and will suffice while the learning curve is travelled.

All bought now and it only took 3 hours. There was me thinking I'd decided days ago!

thx to all, shall post some first shots for ridicule! :LOL:

Back