Please be critical.

TUG51531.jpg

TUG51383.jpg

TUG41197.jpg

TUG41158.jpg

TUG41138.jpg

Cont'd on next post

Last edited:
Grimsby v Halifax Town? Some great pics in there, obviously challenges with lighting etc. No. 1 is the one shot that just doesn't work - too much blur in the grimsby player.

Some great footy pics there. Really good sharpness and you have caught the action well.

Good action and nice cropping. Agree number 1 is the weakest because of blurring of player. Great set of images though.

Good set, i actually like the first one!

1,2,5,6,7 & 9 all need straightening slightly - there's an almost uniform 1º cant to the right (check the verticals).

The WB on 4, 8 & 10 differs from the rest of the set.

The only one that I'm not keen on is 3. The critical focal point is on the kicker, whereas the focus of the pic tends more towards the defender- if you see my meaning!

Oh and caption your bloody photos - that should be second nature by now! :p

All minor points in an otherwise strongish set! :D

1,2,5,6,7 & 9 all need straightening slightly - there's an almost uniform 1º cant to the right (check the verticals).

The WB on 4, 8 & 10 differs from the rest of the set.

The only one that I'm not keen on is 3. The critical focal point is on the kicker, whereas the focus of the pic tends more towards the defender- if you see my meaning!

Oh and caption your bloody photos - that should be second nature by now! :p

All minor points in an otherwise strongish set! :D

Thanks Mark, That's exactly what I wanted.

The WB issue is interesting I used two identical bodies, both set to AWB. I had three different lenses in use during the game, 400 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and I also borrowed a fixed 200 f2 as I expected the lighting to be worse than it was.

I think I must have a natural tilt as nearly all my images have a slight slant on them. I normally square them off to a vertical in the background.

I agree on no3 with the focus point...Perhaps I should not have put that one in the mix.

What do you use for captioning Mark. Ive been using LR5 as Im quite happy using it.

Last edited:
I've got about a 1.5 degree tilt on almost all of my grab shots unless I'm really concentrating. Very few people are consistently (& naturally) level. It's caused by the shape of the face! :)

As for captioning, Lightroom is fine (although I use PM) but what I was referring to is the fact that you don't have any details in there apart from your own copyright info. At the very least try to put the date, location and the outline match details in because:

a) it makes SEO much better on your website ( or anywhere you post the photo)

and

b) it makes searching for a pic much, much easier in LR for your use or if you're submitting it anywhere referencing it in their own software.

Key wording would be a good idea as well - even if its as a batch.

Basically, you're being lazy!!! : p :D

Simon, what bodies were you using, i shot at the Shay last week under lights and my images seem to have more punch, less noise. http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/p1062467080

I shot D3S + 400mm + 1.4x, manual with Auto ISO which wavered between 3200-8000
And D3S + 7-0-20mm Manual with Auto ISO between 2500-6400

Last edited:
Hi Gary, Exif is intact on the images. I think I was shooting Manual or AV. Some of the images are cropped, and also resized for TP.

I was in AV, the dark stand on the right was dropping the SS down to 1/320 1/400 sec so I upped the ISO to ensure that the SS didnt drop below 1/800 when the action was in that area. This setting also pushed the SS up in the brighter area of the pitch. Just another way to do it I guess.

I was in AV, the dark stand on the right was dropping the SS down to 1/320 1/400 sec so I upped the ISO to ensure that the SS didnt drop below 1/800 when the action was in that area. This setting also pushed the SS up in the brighter area of the pitch. Just another way to do it I guess.
(y)

Back