lastolie's HiLite...anybody tried it?

• Thread starter englandshottest2
  • Start date
did you get it folded?

actually not yet :p, im waiting on a friend who's due to come over tomorrow to see if we can't both manage it, hehehe

oh dear, sounds like fun NOT!! make sure you have a few drinks first, just add to the fun.

Its definately a fight putting it away the first time.

... and 2nd and third. mind you, they go back in the cardboard box real easy when you send it back, put it away for ever!!!

Please consider recording this to video, the thought of friends, alcohol and a hilite is something id really like to see uploaded to youtube hehe :)

I`m considering one of these monsters myself so would be keen to see how it goes !

Ade

:p hmm well that would be a yes to the vid. but i must say i attempted it again late last night solo, and i must remember never to wear a dress when its being used and has to be collapsed....seems as though one has to get into the most of un-ladylike positions when trying to fold it(lol)!!!

So have you got it folded yet?

this has to be one of the best threads on here! :)

Last time I wanted a white background I used a sheet, I could not face the upheaval of another round with the hilight! lol

i did it, i did it, i did it!!!!! :D:D:D yeaaaaa! in the end my friend did help a bit, but not much, lol...last night i spent quite alot of time thinking about how to work it, and my theory i had then worked for me this eve. I had previously been following the demo. vid.'s instructions from the lastolite website, but that was NOT working for me. so instead, i just folded one end across the other from the corner, and it collapsed just like a reflector...was dead easy! and it fit in the bag on the first attempt! i've gotten it in and out a few times since for practice, and it's really great....practice makes perfect :D. get to put it to the test this saturday at a dinner & dance ball...fingers crossed :D, annual rugby team event, so at least there'll be strong hotties around who have good arm strength if i get in distress:D!!

Well done should be easy from now on. I videod undoing and redoing it slowly second time and really got the hang of it and it,s childs play now. Like the super shots of kids taken using it.
Cheers Phil :clap::clap::clap:

Yeah, well done! Just like the metal puzzle analogy isn't it! ;)

I took some portraits with mine at the weekend and think the results are well worth it, a lovely clean, evenly lit background.

Think I'm going to experiment using it as a giant softbox next!

Flashy

:LOL: Best laugh I've had today. Congrats :) Looking forward to seeing some pics with it in use.

I took some portraits with mine at the weekend and think the results are well worth it, a lovely clean, evenly lit background.

Flashy

Never tried it yet but I think it would make a first class soft box provided that the light inside was not set to high. otherwise I don`t think it would be soft enoph. A case for trial and error I think.

yay!!! well done! :clap:

Flashy

OOh! now I hope you share the results of that, good or bad ... Id be really interested to hear how you get on! (y)

OOh! now I hope you share the results of that, good or bad ...

...Probably bad :) ... but yes, I'll do that when I've tried it.

In the meantime, here's a couple I took against the HiLite at the weekend.

S01.jpg

S02.jpg

Flashy

been playin with mine, only briefly...really kewl. got a question, but really isn't quite about the hi-lite itself....anytime i've had a very illuminated background (to the point to where its 'blown') about 60% of the time, the results of the subject are always very out of focus, even though the focus point is set accordingly. never really comes out sharp and crisp, almost as though it's 'spilling'...anybody encountered this :D
(im sure what im encountering represents my 'amateurishness' :bonk:!)

like so...
p.s. was only a VERY rough job :D with a 'stand-in', lol

not fuzzy
testing_001.jpg

fuzzy!
testing_002.jpg

Silly question time but what is this illuminated with? I assumed it was just a backdrop but when i looked at it on a couple of websites it said it was illuminated.

its got either one or two flash heads zipped up 'into it' at either side, so its kinda like a sandwhich with light 'in it', so it itself gets illuminated.

Hi,

we use the a hi lite for when we visit peoples houses, at first we had to borrow peoples pc's to go on the lastolite website and see how you fold it away but we have got to grips with that now. heres a sample of a photo taken with it.

Amalia65.jpg

was doing some product work today, gave the hilite a go for a few, still gettin used to it, in terms of distance, etc. was quite impressed still!....

straight out of camera, and almost no need for background colour touch-up (almost!)
testing_003-r.jpg

its got either one or two flash heads zipped up 'into it' at either side, so its kinda like a sandwhich with light 'in it', so it itself gets illuminated.

Sorry..should have been more clear on my original question.
Does it come with the lights or are they a seperate purchase?

oh right, no just the hi-lite background is sold, lights are your own.

final results from one of today's product shoots:
click me

I could have done some PS-ing and quickly touched up the corners which aren't quite properly illuminated, but, nahh lol. it was really easy to use in conclusion :D, for product stuff anyway, look forward to tryin it out with people :LOL:. used only 1 flash head inside it, whilst had a strip softbox to the side about 45degrees from the b.g., and a square softbox about 7' high angled down, just slightly off to the side and not quite full on frontal.

here's some of the pics from the ball I did recently, people were happy with 'em, I liked the ease of using the hi-lite, no need for background touch ups!!
click here

nice shots englandshottest. i wonder what the guy in no.022 and 023 is holding:LOL:

Glad I found this thread. I looked at one at Calumet and have been undecided, but think I am going to go for it for out-of-studio work. Does anyone know if it works as well with 1 light as 2?

I prefer it with one inside, two can cause spill from too much backlighting, unless your subject is quite far away, but that defeats the purpose of it.

Back