Lastolite Highlite background lighting???

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at buy a lastolite highlite background (6x7).

What sort of wattage strobe heads are recommended.

Im looking at adding a elinchrom D-lite it 2 studio twin head kit(200w).

Would this be enough or should i go for the d-lute it 4 kit (400w).

The heads used to light the background would also be used with modifiers such as snoot and honeycombes for low key lighting.

Softbox set that would also be added as my front lighting set is the Elinchrom BXRi 500 twin head kit.

Thoughts on that setup please and weather 2 200w heads would be enough for the backdrop?

Thanks Sean

You should be able to get away with the 2s, you'd easily be able to light it at f/11 to f/16 with two of them. But if you are using the train, you need to light the join where it meets the hilite, as well as your subject.

For a perfect setup, they use 6 lights in total, however with careful placement, I have found 4 x 400WS lights just enough, one to light the hilite, one for the train join, one fill and one key.

You can get away with less if you do more PP..

Thanks, still looking through that to see if 200s would do or best to go for 400s.

200s will be plenty. Hilites are very efficient.

Edit: crossed post with Phil

The train its much cheaper if bought with hilite, it's very heavy duty vinyl which is cleanable, and fits perfectly.

If bought separately, it is expensive, but it is shaped correctly and joins with Velcro to they hilite, so you'd have to make your own to the same dimensions if you want a good join..

Last edited:
I've just taken delivery of the same set up mate. Managed to fold the Highlite first attempt which I'm proud of lol

Back