Latest Windows 10 update knocks out Matte printing on dye-subs

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Evening Gang

My events pc decided to do a major update yesterday (just as I was setting up for an event) which meant it was out of action for near 40-50 mins.
I connect a Citizen CY printer and a DNP DS80 to it and then print in a matte finish on both.
First print came out and it was gloss...went into the normal printer setting and changed it to Matte...again it came out gloss.
In the end (when back at home) I had to roll back the update and strip-out all drivers for the two printers....re-install drivers and it worked, matte back.
Going to try after Christmas to reload the update and then see what happens.
The windows updates are a killer at the moment.

My events pc decided to do a major update yesterday (just as I was setting up for an event)
Translates as "I ignored all the notifications about Windows updates".
I had to roll back the update and strip-out all drivers for the two printers....re-install drivers and it worked, matte back.
Translates as, "I have never checked the printer manufacturers website for updated drivers

Translates as "I ignored all the notifications about Windows updates".
Translates as, "I have never checked the printer manufacturers website for updated drivers

wow...hope you don't translate for a living chap..:)

For your info my windows 10 is on auto up-dates which it decided to do after I shut it down to transport it to the event and I always check the printer sites for updates to drivers and software, hence being able to load the drivers direct from my saved 'up-to-date' drivers folder ;)

once again as i say to folk, change your auto update settings and or set your networks to metered.

Funny i did the update a few days ago and i had to recalibrate my external screen afterward.

Yeah I've never had a mac update knock out some drivers.

Oh wait..

Though genuinely the tipping point for me switching to Mac was when Windoze released some update that deliberately broke one of my printers. I can't remember the exact details (it was a long time ago) but I remember thinking "Right......".

It's a lot simpler when you don't expect your computer to support anything :D

once again as i say to folk, change your auto update settings and or set your networks to metered.
Windows Search, Advanced update settings, turn off updates for other products. You can also go into delivery optimisation and control how much bandwidth is used when downloading updates.

personally I have it set to download and tell me when they are ready to install, so I can choose the install time. No idea why you'd use auto update and then complain it ran updates at an unexpected time :D

Though genuinely the tipping point for me switching to Mac was when Windoze released some update that deliberately broke one of my printers. I can't remember the exact details (it was a long time ago) but I remember thinking "Right......".

It's a lot simpler when you don't expect your computer to support anything :D

Just having this at the moment with a customer. They're replacing 8 year old Windows 7 laptops with new Windows 10 ones and expect their old 3G dongles to work, even when I pointed out they are on the compatibility list and the company doesn't provide new drivers as they have 4 newer devices that do support Windows 10.

But apparently it's all Windows fault...

personally I have it set to download and tell me when they are ready to install, so I can choose the install time. No idea why you'd use auto update and then complain it ran updates at an unexpected time :D

I have a couple of days downtime over Christmas so I might have a good look over all the setting again just to double check. I know the studio pc and the editing pc are set for me to control the updates just not the events one (school boy error..lol) so will sort that one out.

Microsoft deliberately broke your printer? How so? Unless it wasn't officially supported to start with and was a fluke it worked, then an update was the final nail.

I've had Apple break EFI Fiery / Canon drivers before with an OS update. Happens on both platforms.

I have genrally found quite afew manufacturers of printers simply allow various models to go defunct with a new OS to seem to move products forward.
Microsoft inform all the manufacturers about OS changes and give them access to SDKs.
If you printer is not supported under W10 or requires an update then its the printer supplier that gets involved.

Back