Laundry Day...

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Been a while since I shot my first dance based photo so thought I should try and continue the theme. A few points to note. The shop was open with customers coming and going, washing and drying. I didn't want to clone or clean anything from the backgrounds as I wanted it to be a bit more authentic with regards to it being an operational Launderette. The same with the lighting. I didn't want to use flash, as I wanted the colours of the shop to show, however it did make it very tricky with the flourescent lights.

This isn't me trying to justify why it isn't 'perfect' and make excuses, but more trying to find my own way with photography.

Anyway, enough waffle from me.

Laundry Day by GazMortonPhoto, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this.
Not the easiest of circumstances, but you've done pretty damn well.

Thanks.

I really like this - I'm trying to convince my girlie to take her pointes out one day to try something different.

This is one of the best photos I have seen in a while. I love the idea, the setting, processing - the lot! It's different and not at all what I expected to find when reading the title and clicking the thread! (y)

I don't normally look in this P&P section, but glad I did today to see this. Fabulous idea - reminds me of a film set or musical......very good.

I love this, its really fun but highly effective (y) the shine of the metal gives it a real retro vibe:)

Cool image however maybe a little too cluttered with such a wide depth of field. For example you can't avoid being lead to the sign on the wall which her leg gets in the way, or the tv top left which cuts into the scene.

I didn't know what I was going to find when I clicked on "Laundry Day" but that is much more FUN than anything I expected! (y)

I really like this - I'm trying to convince my girlie to take her pointes out one day to try something different.

Thank you. :)

This is one of the best photos I have seen in a while. I love the idea, the setting, processing - the lot! It's different and not at all what I expected to find when reading the title and clicking the thread! (y)

Thank you for your comments :)

I don't normally look in this P&P section, but glad I did today to see this. Fabulous idea - reminds me of a film set or musical......very good.

Thank you very much :)

I love this, its really fun but highly effective (y) the shine of the metal gives it a real retro vibe:)

Thank you for commenting :)

I think it's great and you've met your objectives perfectly - can imagine trying to get the lighting to work was very tough! Great result though, has a real 50's feel to my mind.

Thank you :)

Cool image however maybe a little too cluttered with such a wide depth of field. For example you can't avoid being lead to the sign on the wall which her leg gets in the way, or the tv top left which cuts into the scene.

Thanks for commenting, and I know what you mean. It's not perfect in that respect for sure. I have now replaced it with one addressing the problems you mentioned as they did bother me enough to try and sort it. Thank you. :)

I didn't know what I was going to find when I clicked on "Laundry Day" but that is much more FUN than anything I expected! (y)

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uploaded the cleaner version in the original post. :)

I really like this and the lighting is spot on - the slight cross-processed feel works a treat too :)

To be honest, I preferred the original. It did not look quite so staged or as if it could be a studio shot.
It was definitely more random and worked because of that.

I really like this and the lighting is spot on - the slight cross-processed feel works a treat too :)

Thank you. :)

To be honest, I preferred the original. It did not look quite so staged or as if it could be a studio shot.
It was definitely more random and worked because of that.

Thanks for your opinion. To be honest, I wasn't 100% and am still not. The only things I have removed are the red writing, which did encourage to you read it and a small part of the TV visible. Everything else is still as is and if you have never been to the shop, you possibly wouldn't know those things were there?

I like your concept here Gaz and think you've handled it very well, maintaining that 'real life' aspect to it. Looking at her I'm sure she could have got in a better position to give you a technically more polished shot and an even stronger juxtaposition to the clutter and 'everyday' aspect of the location.

I like your concept here Gaz and think you've handled it very well, maintaining that 'real life' aspect to it. Looking at her I'm sure she could have got in a better position to give you a technically more polished shot and an even stronger juxtaposition to the clutter and 'everyday' aspect of the location.

Hey, thanks for the comment. There are a few more shots from the day but I hate presenting them as a set on here. I try to pick what I think is the best but not everyone always agrees. :LOL:

Is this the same model as in the underground train shot from several months back? I seem to remember that was pretty good too. :) (well, brilliant actually)

Is this the same model as in the underground train shot from several months back? I seem to remember that was pretty good too. :) (well, brilliant actually)

No not the same model but thanks for the compliment. It's actually linked in the first paragraph of the original post here. Just click the blue text. It's hopefully the start of a series if I can attract the right people.

Gotcha.
I missed that.

Not as good as your train station shot I don't think. Hard to find the balance between a good clean shot, and keeping the 'authenticity' of the situation.

Have you seen Jordan Matters' "Dancers Among Us"? His photos are a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion, and could be edited a lot tighter, but he's obviously pretty good on the PR side of things, being featured on Oprah and just about everywhere else. http://www.dancersamongus.com/

Not as good as your train station shot I don't think. Hard to find the balance between a good clean shot, and keeping the 'authenticity' of the situation.

Have you seen Jordan Matters' "Dancers Among Us"? His photos are a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion, and could be edited a lot tighter, but he's obviously pretty good on the PR side of things, being featured on Oprah and just about everywhere else. http://www.dancersamongus.com/

Thank you. Yes, I have the book here next to me. I had the idea myself before I realised that he had done it and then found his work and many, many photographs, so ordered the book without hesitation. It almost put me off doing it myself as I felt people would think I was copying him. Infact, I was flicking through the book the other day and thinking what people would say if he posted some of those on forums as an 'unknown' photographer.

Thank you. Yes, I have the book here next to me. I had the idea myself before I realised that he had done it and then found his work and many, many photographs, so ordered the book without hesitation. It almost put me off doing it myself as I felt people would think I was copying him. Infact, I was flicking through the book the other day and thinking what people would say if he posted some of those on forums as an 'unknown' photographer.

Likewise, I was brainstorming ideas for a new project a while back, when I came across his project. I thought it would obviously have been done before, but not to the extent (publicity wise) that he has done it. So it put me off that idea for a while.

I have little to add but it is a really cool, clever shot!

Why do I have no imagination? :shrug:

Thank you. I am sure you HAVE got imagination. The truth is, I struggle thinking of new things all the time. This was a one off!

I like it Gareth and think you have done really well with the shot.

Thanks Dean. :)

Back