Laycock Abbey Cloisters - Re-Visited

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
My last attempts at the Laycock Abbey Cloisters resulted in some blown window openings, so I thought I would use an opportunity today to return and have another go.
The location has some contrasting lighting with the shadow of the cloisters leading into the bright light through the window slots.
I think these two are an improvement but I think I still need to have another go :) .

Laycock Abbey Cloisters by photogramps, on Flickr

An alternative to #2 by cropping slightly and doing a B&W conversion ... I think it saves it :shrug:

Laycock Abbey Cloisters B&W by photogramps, on Flickr

Last edited:
gramps said:
My last attempts at the Laycock Abbey Cloisters resulted in some blown window openings, so I thought I would use an opportunity today to return and have another go.
The location has some contrasting lighting with the shadow of the cloisters leading into the bright light through the window slots.
I think these two are an improvement but I think I still need to have another go :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53444368@N05/7176825766/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53444368@N05/7176824388/
Laycock Abbey Cloisters by photogramps, on Flickr[/QUOTE

First shot is definitely the best, the second has that ugly blue leaking from the windows on the left. Nice composition in both pictures.

First shot is definitely the best, the second has that ugly blue leaking from the windows on the left. Nice composition in both pictures.

Gramps, there's a really grand sense of scale and depth that strikes the viewer within a millisecond... I agree with thestranger about the second image... the first one also offers a more compelling, tighter perspective to my eyes.

Thanks both, in truth the 2nd is one I shouldn't have taken ... I was avoiding some other visitors to the left and so the composition isn't so compelling and I didn't take the same amount of time with it - I must learn when to shoot and when not to :)

Added a B&W option to #2 which I think looks a lot better.

Back