Le Mans - 24 hours - June

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
First time I am going to Le Mans, so not sure where is good to stand and what lenses to take. So any suggestions would be good...

Current kit is below, in my signature...

Looking at buying a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 - would this be good enough or should I be looking at something bigger?

Last edited:
from what I remember there are very few places to get decent photographs of the cars, infact I think the only keeper I had was from the big wheel.

Go and enjoy the racing/partying!

from what I remember there are very few places to get decent photographs of the cars, infact I think the only keeper I had was from the big wheel.

Go and enjoy the racing/partying!

Sad, but I had a feeling that is what would be said... :shrug: oh well, still exciting (y)

glamorous camping :) all food and drink provided, dont have to put up my own tent = WINNER!!!

I went a couple of years ago. Unless you have a grandstand seat or VIP access I wouldn't worry about taking photo's and just enjoy the weekend :)

Last time I was there, the grandstands were open to all-comers during the two practice sessions. Good chance to peer down into the pits from directly above and suss out which grandstands to book on a return visit.

The main problem is getting a view around the heavy safety fencing.
There's not many good spots, but the best I found were on the infield just before Tetre Rouge, the right hand end of the banking at Porsche Curves, from the top tiers of the Maison Blanche grandstand (T23) - and the big wheel.

There's also a good night shot from Maison Blanche as the cars brake heavily into the Ford Chicane - 1/20s panning doesn't show the wire and patience will be rewarded with red hot brake discs and flames from the exhaust.

The loony antics of the campers are always worth photographing.

Last two times I was there we positioned ourselves for storming the trophy presentation on the start finish straight, one time getting close enough to get soaked by the champers. Well worth the effort both photographically and just to be there!

It's usually roasting hot and the distances between viewing points are vast.
Minimal kit, lots of water, hat and light coloured clothing are the only sensible option!

During the race I've only seen one instance of theft from the tents, less than 10ft from where a large group of us were sitting; there's no major problem, just be sensible and don't leave valuables in the tent. However - as already mentioned; post-race security is not the organisers strong point (non existent); best to get back to the campsite as soon as the race finishes or your BBQ, chairs and everything else may have walked.

Oh....
- take a radio so you can listen to Radio Le Mans; excellent coverage and the ONLY way you will be able to follow what is going on in the race.
- Houx campsite has electric hookup; amazingly they are standard household sockets. Take plenty of cable, sockets, bags and tape (for waterproofing); it's bizarre, but it works.
- If photographing the pre-race evening mayhem on the roads around the event - be careful! Stepping into the road for a better shot is really risky; people get hurt every year. Also keep an eye out for the police getting ready to break it up - they have none of the reserved behaviour we know and love from the UK Police.

I found it really hard to get some decent pictures from lemans

DSC_0524 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

It was really hard to pan due to fencing all round i guess this can change from different areas of the track though..

Cant wait for this year

keep an eye out for us :D Will be in the meg below!

DSC_0314 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

Back