Le Tour 2023 Anyone?

Used to watch live on TV whenever poss, usually just the highlights now. Hope Cav can get one more win.

Used to watch live on TV whenever poss, usually just the highlights now. Hope Cav can get one more win.

i think he is way out of his league this year

i think he is way out of his league this year
Think you are probably right:(. Enjoyed the highlights tonight, will be interesting to see how Pogacar goes, he didn't seem too concerned when interviewed but he has missed a lot of training/racing.

It,s the only cycling event that I do watch. always exciting.

Watch most of the cycling, used to subscribe to Eurosport but now Sky give free access to Discovery+ so watch it there.
Great win for Hindley today sort of shakes things up, be interesting how it goes tomorrow with the climb of the Tourmalet and the first mountain top finish.
I'm not sure I would write off Cav just yet.
Just over a month till the World Championships got my accommodation booked in Glasgow and a hospitality package for the men's road race and ITT in Stirling.

I first went over to France to watch a couple of stages in 1981, with my cycling club. We did a decent ride to Roubaix from Calais in scorching heat, we missed the finish because someone (not me) messed up on the map reading. The stage start the next morning was unbelievable, dappled light in the square, famous riders just milling around - Sean Kelly, Freddy Maertens, Bernard Hinault, Phil Anderson etc. The next time I went over, we saw the prologue TT in Rouen when Chris Boardman absolutely stomped the first stage.
It is a fantastic race.

Quite an exciting first few days with hopefully more to come. It'd be nice to see Cav get the last one as he certainly has the speed but that's not all you need. He did pull it out for the Giro our favourite tour so there's still a chance for the record. We record all stages but tend to skip the boring bits, like day three.

I'm loving it so far. I've been over to see various stages over the years and aside from the atmosphere I find watching on TV to be more interesting. The Eurosport/GCN commentary team is very good (y)

I'm loving it so far. I've been over to see various stages over the years and aside from the atmosphere I find watching on TV to be more interesting. The Eurosport/GCN commentary team is very good (y)

They are indeed, but for Le Tour I always go to the V-Squared production shown on ITV4. I guess it’s tradition going back to the old days when it was Sunset & Vine with the music by Pete Shelley and the commentary team being Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen.

I too prefer the ITV4 commentary, not so much the pieces to camera. missing the Ad break quiz this year replaced with definitions of cycling terms.

Cav seems to be missing his placement and may be as a lack of a lead out that will keep him near the front of the sprint, in both stages so far he ends up being 30th wheel with 1km to go and then boxed in. I think he has the speed as he is not far off on the line but has missed the ability to jump when the winner has.

They are indeed, but for Le Tour I always go to the V-Squared production shown on ITV4. I guess it’s tradition going back to the old days when it was Sunset & Vine with the music by Pete Shelley and the commentary team being Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen.

Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen, used to listen to them for hours/weeks when the tour was on

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't seen the results of today's stage don't scroll down

Cav came so close to winning today - pipped virtually on the line. His team really isn't geared up to providing a lead-out train so he has to surf off others. Getting another stage win is going to be difficult for him :(

Belgians are going to defend their countryman's record if they possibly can

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't seen the results of today's stage don't scroll down

Cav came so close to winning today - pipped virtually on the line. His team really isn't geared up to providing a lead-out train so he has to surf off others. Getting another stage win is going to be difficult for him :(
Not sure if that was intentional but "Geared up" sounded like a sore point. Never seen Cav so gutted to have lost, he visibly slipped twice so if it was just the gearing then he did a fine job on his own. Still more than 30th wheel with 1km to go so its that lead in that he needs.

Well thats Cav off the tour, sad to see him finish like that but as sean kelly would say thats bike racing for you.

Not sure if that was intentional but "Geared up" sounded like a sore point. Never seen Cav so gutted to have lost, he visibly slipped twice so if it was just the gearing then he did a fine job on his own. Still more than 30th wheel with 1km to go so its that lead in that he needs.
:D No, that was purely unintentional. I didn't see Cav's interview about what had happened until after I wrote my post.

There was a report on Eurosport today that Cav's team have offered him a 12 month extension to his contract so he can ride next year's TDF. Not sure if it's true but it was attributed to the Astana team boss Alexander Vinokourov.

"Yes, we want Mark to go on to 2024 and race his 15th Tour de France to win his 35th stage," Vinokourov told L'Equipe.

There was a report on Eurosport today that Cav's team have offered him a 12 month extension to his contract so he can ride next year's TDF. Not sure if it's true but it was attributed to the Astana team boss Alexander Vinokourov.

"Yes, we want Mark to go on to 2024 and race his 15th Tour de France to win his 35th stage," Vinokourov told L'Equipe.

See the post above yours.

I have to watch with the commentary off or I fall asleep. The faux french accent for the place names makes me snigger too! The "fans" have annoyed me this year with their drunken antics. Give the riders room to ride you cretins!

Just a question, do the top of the range bikes have electric gearshift?

Just a question, do the top of the range bikes have electric gearshift?
Yes, can get wireless control now as well. Battety lasts months/ thousands of miles before recharge needed, better gear changes and less need to adjust set up.

Last edited:
Well after today it's all over as to the winner as long as Vingegaard keeps the rubber side down, it was a good battle between the two of them while it lasted.

Last edited:
Today was fantastic :)

Well after today it's all over as to the winner as long as long as Vingegaard keeps the rubber side down, it was a good battle between the two of them while it lasted.
Never heard of the spoiler tag?
Highlights not on until 7pm

well it is truly over for pog
vini just read him the rites

I guess UAE will be working to keep Adam Yates in third now.

I guess UAE will be working to keep Adam Yates in third now.
Team radio, Pog said he was done/dead and they told Adam to go

Vini has been pretty impressive, especially last couple of days

What a couple of days I certainly didn't see the time trial result coming and then yesterday talk about rubbing it in!

What a couple of days I certainly didn't see the time trial result coming and then yesterday talk about rubbing it in!
I don't think anyone saw the time trial result coming, I predicted Vingegaard would win but I though by a handful of seconds at best.

Back