Lead Mining in Co Durham

Edit My Images
Yes
These are part of a series of pictures about the lead mining that took place in Durham since the Roman Times. Another disused mine can be seen on the left close to the skyline. The mine which was near to the arch is not a bridge, but what is left of a support to take lead ore in wagons to a smelting furnace about 100yds away from the furnace a long ground level flue would take the fumes and some lead up over the moors to be collected by 'flue-boys' once the fire had been allowed to cool.
In nearby villages if you know where to look you will see houses still lived in but the front doors are only perhaps 5'6" high such was the effect of the lead on the growth of the inhabitants which stunted their growth over the years.

The nearest chimneys are shown in the 2nd picture. The one on the right was from the furnace mentioned earlier. The one on the left is from another furnace in the valley and the trace of the flu can be seen going up then turns left.

Grove Rake mine is almost at the head of the valley as it is today. It is the only one left that still has the pit head gear still in place and is now a protected historic site and quite rightly fenced off to stop vandalism. The last picture was taken a few years ago before the fences were erected and you could get closer to the construction.

Slightly off subject but that part of Durham being around 1500 feet above sea level has such high winds and intense cold in the winter, it is the only place I have ever seen horizontal icicles!

(Nikon F6 & 24/120 scanned RA4 prints)

Attachments

• Lead mining smelting flue  Co Durham (1).jpg
    Lead mining smelting flue Co Durham (1).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 19
  • Two smelting chimneys above Weardale (2).jpg
    Two smelting chimneys above Weardale (2).jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Grove Rake Mine today (3).jpg
    Grove Rake Mine today (3).jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Grove Rake lead Mine, Co Durham (4).jpg